CPU running a bit hot...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Hey all i built a rig back in august 2016. I have been running into a bit overheating lately reaching 84C non overclocked. I tried re applying thermal paste even got a new paste from phanteks and reapplied the new stuff tonight under full load it reached 84C. The room temp is around 80F I have 2 120mm intake fans in the front and one in the rear as exhaust. I can't really add any fans to the chassis without replacing the CPU cooler. My build is pretty much this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WqcxQV

Solution
Why would you run a norton scan at the same time as playing Overwatch? To stress the CPU purposely?

There may be a cooler that will perform better for you now, but if you upgrade the case later there are better options again, so you might want/have to upgrade the cooler again. It depends what cooler you were considering putting in the case right now.

The room temp is fairly warm and surely affecting your case and CPU temps but I think we need to get a better look at how your system is set up and running. Prolonged temperatures that high will slowly degrade the CPU more quickly than if the temps were kept lower. So yes, those temps aren't ideal.

Do you have the program HWiNFO? If not can you install it and then post some screenshots...

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I picked up two Corsair ML140 Pros for the front intake i know they might be a bit noisy but since the case doesn't have good airflow I thought they'd help a bit then I'll move the 120s from the front to the top see how that does. The 120s I have is one that came with a case and a Cooler Master SickleFlow 120

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
They're meant to be a nice fan. It looks like the ML140 can be used for both high static pressure and high air flow applications which is interesting. You should only need to run them at 1500 rpm max. You should get much better flow with these.

Having those two 120mm in exhaust should reduce the case and cpu temperature some, but ultimately your cpu cooling will come down to the type of cooler you use.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Those are the load temps your still getting with the Phanteks cooler? What sort of load is that, gaming or stress test?

Would you consider changing your case? I'll have to look at some benchmarks on the Cryorig H7 but I'm not sure the 120mm coolers are going to get you the temps you need with the 6700K.

Let me look up some benchmarks and I'll get back to you.

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
It was when I played overwatch and ran a norton scan. I downloaded aida64 and did a FPU test it went in the high 80s and one 90. I can't really get a new case at they moment but I will eventually. It was a cool night here around 70F and I ran a FPU test and the max was 80C I wish it would be like this all year around lol. Running this hot though will it damage anything? Or could I save up for a new case and cooler it might be a couple of months and probably will be pretty hot until then. If needed I'd probably look for a better cooler until I can buy a new case. Do you think a new cooler would do the same thing if it's 80F room temp?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Why would you run a norton scan at the same time as playing Overwatch? To stress the CPU purposely?

There may be a cooler that will perform better for you now, but if you upgrade the case later there are better options again, so you might want/have to upgrade the cooler again. It depends what cooler you were considering putting in the case right now.

The room temp is fairly warm and surely affecting your case and CPU temps but I think we need to get a better look at how your system is set up and running. Prolonged temperatures that high will slowly degrade the CPU more quickly than if the temps were kept lower. So yes, those temps aren't ideal.

Do you have the program HWiNFO? If not can you install it and then post some screenshots of all of the values. You'll have to scroll the bar down to take multiple screenshots. Try to get a screen shot when the system is at idle, no other programs running using the CPU, like a norton scan. Then reset the values (clock looking icon) and play Overwatch for a while, leaving HWiNFO running in the background. As soon as you exit Overwatch take screenshots of HWiNFO straight away so we can get a look at the max and average CPU temps. Don't run a Norton scan at the same time, only run Overwatch.

There may be something else going on with your system or it could be that the room is really warm and the cooler you have is too weak. Where is the fan configuration currently at? Do you put the ML140's in? Have you tried getting any fans up top?

Solution