Question CPU running at 100 degrees c

Jan 9, 2020
Hello everyone. For the past several month I have not been able to run my desktop do to over heating issue.
I have tried using my corsair water cooler, (seated and thermal pasted correctly), I have also used a standard air cooler, (seated, thermal pasted correctly.) I have tried push and pull method for the corsair cooler as well.

For the corsair water cooler I am seeing the pump is operating, one of the water tubes is carrying some very hot liquid through it, and the other water tube stays at what feels like room temp. So i do believe it is functioning fine.

I boot up windows and everything is fine for about 5 minutes when my temperatures all of a sudden spike to 90 degrees. I am literally just on my desktop with no windows open. If i load into Bios at start right away, I start at about 42 degrees, and watch it steadily climb in the Bios sensor. Just running Bios the computer climbs to 100 degrees at points.

I am starting to think my CPU is bad, but upon doing some searching I do not see any relate-able subjects to what I am experiencing.

Intel I7 4790
corsair water cooler h100i
motherboard- refurbished ASUS maximus VII, (did not have any issues when I first got it.)

What @Ralston18 said, and it's also possible that the integrated heat spreader (IHS) is not flat and therefore isn't making complete contact with the air cooler base. Check your CPU by spinning it on a counter-top with the IHS touching the table. If it spins for a second or two, it's not flat. You'll need to sand it down with sand paper. You can use your hands and just rub it back and forth.

Jan 9, 2020
Thank you for info. I will provide full specs tonight when I am off of work.

Artic MX-2 thermal paste, I tried multiple methods of application, but used pea sized method most recently, I also did a delidding yesterday, but nothing changed.

Jan 9, 2020
What else is installed in your desktop?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it?

EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire

2 years old.

How old is the H100i ?

It sounds to me like you have a clogged radiator...one pipe shouldn't be a lot hotter than the other...a slight difference in temp is expected but it sounds like you have more than that.

He said he also tried air cooling, so age of the radiator shouldn't be the issue.

Thank you for info. I will provide full specs tonight when I am off of work.

Artic MX-2 thermal paste, I tried multiple methods of application, but used pea sized method most recently, I also did a delidding yesterday, but nothing changed.

Try the spin test as well if none of these other ideas work out in the end. It's not likely that the cause of your heat spikes is a non-uniform IHS elevation - but still probable that it is not flat. No-one ever notices the one thing they expect to be factory prepared and so rise in heat temps go unexplained.

If you do plan to do the spin test and pen-ultimately sand down your IHS to flatten it please be careful and follow these instructions:

You can use basic grit sand paper and you may do it by hand but it is recommended to use a non-static cloth or gloves.
Place the CPU IHS on the sand paper and simply use a firm yet gentle force whilst moving the CPU IHS back and forth to sand away the higher elevated areas. Every once and a while lift up the CPU to take note of the IHS and the sanded areas - if the IHS was not flat initially then you'll start to see copper colored spots that are discolored to the original IHS's silver color. That is an indication that those areas were the higher elevated areas. Like a topographic map that shows height differentials.

When you believe it's truly flat, simply do the spin test again. If it has very little to no-spin, it's good to go. It should make better contact with the coolers and dissipate more heat.

EDIT: never mind that last part i deleted, I see you already delidded.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjd53172
Jan 9, 2020
Hello everyone. For the past several month I have not been able to run my desktop do to over heating issue.
I have tried using my corsair water cooler, (seated and thermal pasted correctly), I have also used a standard air cooler, (seated, thermal pasted correctly.) I have tried push and pull method for the corsair cooler as well.

For the corsair water cooler I am seeing the pump is operating, one of the water tubes is carrying some very hot liquid through it, and the other water tube stays at what feels like room temp. So i do believe it is functioning fine.

I boot up windows and everything is fine for about 5 minutes when my temperatures all of a sudden spike to 90 degrees. I am literally just on my desktop with no windows open. If i load into Bios at start right away, I start at about 42 degrees, and watch it steadily climb in the Bios sensor. Just running Bios the computer climbs to 100 degrees at points.

I am starting to think my CPU is bad, but upon doing some searching I do not see any relate-able subjects to what I am experiencing.

Intel I7 4790
corsair water cooler h100i
motherboard- refurbished ASUS maximus VII, (did not have any issues when I first got it.)
Try to change the water of the water cooling or put the fan at higher rpm and your motherboard should have epu, Economical Procces Unit

Jan 9, 2020
Thank you everyone for your input, I was able to resolve this and have determined it was the motherboard causing the problem. Replaced and running.

However, during the down period I made a purchase to get an I7 9700k, and memory and motherboard to go with it.

Now the I7 4970k is going to collect some dust.