[SOLVED] Cpu running at 50-60 c idle and 40-50 while gaming

Oct 29, 2020
I recently upgraded my PC to a ryzen 3900x, with an Asus rog crosshair 8 hero and a corsair gen 4 SSD. After setting everything up I quickly noticed that my pc was a lot louder than it used to. And that the noise came in waves as if the CPU temps spiked and dropped down again. At first, I thought I might have mounted the cooler on wrong, so I re-pasted and mounted the cooler back on. this didn't change much. I highly doubt my cooler is the problem cause I'm using a corsair h100i with 4 fans in a push-pull configuration. And I also have noticed that MSI afterburner and CPUID shows me I'm running between 50-60 C idle and the same while I'm gaming. In the bios, my temps are around 40 C. And the weird thing is that corsairs iCUE software tells me my CPU is below 30C idle. I've tried changing my fan curves in the BIOS settings but it didn't seem to change much. I know that these aren't really bad temperatures if it is between 50-60 C under load, but id really like my PC to run ab it quieter while just watch youtube or doing homework Could this be the motherboard reading the wrong temperature?

Solution
I think this might be due to settings of the fans within UEFI, cpu is idle at higher temps because fans arent spinning that much and when its under load fans go 100% or higher than at idle.
It's all in the fan profile.

The first thing to know is Ryzen spikes temperature with every boost but it's not really significant until the average temperature is getting up to that 80-85C mark.

The next thing is to remember the reason AIO's are so effective: the liquid has massive capacity to sink heat before you have to shed it with increased fan speed. So set a low, barely audible, fan profile up to about 65-70C, then raise it only till it's just above audible but not terrifcally to about 85 or 90C and only then let it get truly...

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
I think this might be due to settings of the fans within UEFI, cpu is idle at higher temps because fans arent spinning that much and when its under load fans go 100% or higher than at idle.

It's all in the fan profile.

The first thing to know is Ryzen spikes temperature with every boost but it's not really significant until the average temperature is getting up to that 80-85C mark.

The next thing is to remember the reason AIO's are so effective: the liquid has massive capacity to sink heat before you have to shed it with increased fan speed. So set a low, barely audible, fan profile up to about 65-70C, then raise it only till it's just above audible but not terrifcally to about 85 or 90C and only then let it get truly annoying loud.

Reactions: Morterio
Solution