CPU running at 90c when i open a game !

Jun 1, 2018
i have a desktop core i3 540 / 8 gb de ram , i decided to buy a core i7 860 and a graphic card because the i7s first gn Display nothing without the graphics card ... so i instal the i7 860 but when i open a game the pc stopped working , i solved the problm , i change the 400 w by a 650 w ... after that i download msi after burner a see how mush temperature the cpu it up , so the temperature without openning anything almost between ( 50 - 65 ) but when i open a game or sometimes chrome , temperature up to min 90 to 99c , but he never shutdown with this high temperature ...

34074337_2096064533996743_6531261543307280384_n.jpg

34036952_2096064527330077_2353302445079134208_n.jpg

and i ask why this multiplier not fixed !

Solution
You're using cpu cooler meant for 77W TDP on 95W TDP cpu.
That's the main issue there. You need a better cooler. And do not OC with your current cooler until you get a better one.

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
Check these things:

Do you have a cooler for your CPU?
If yes, is it properly installed? Is the heatsink properly touching the CPU?
Do you have thermal paste applied?
Does the PC case have fans to pull in cool air and push out hot air? Have you cleaned out the PC and removed dust?
Are you sure there is nothing in the BIOS that is overclocking or over-volting your CPU?

Also, from what I can remember, the MSI Afterburner application doesn't show your CPU temperature, but rather your CPU core clock, voltage, etc. Make sure you haven't misinterpreted it as CPU temperature.

If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to comment.

Hope this helped!
-Lachlan :)

The multiplier is not fixed because there's no need for your CPU to be running at full power all the time. It drops the voltages and multiplier to reduce heat and save power.

I agree with @Hoetan. Did you clean off the old (probably all dried out) thermal paste and apply new paste? Just dropping a cooler on with no thermal paste is not going to work.

The other potential issue is, are you using the boxed cooler that came with the i7, or just re-using the one from the i3? It's really hard to get reliable info on Intel boxed coolers, but it's very likely the one that came with the i3 is smaller and less capable. Even with a proper thermal paste application, an i3 cooler might not be up to task of cooling a 95W hyper-threaded quad core.

Jun 1, 2018
i have a intel cooler and yes i'm sure ebout the installation cpu , but in the bios i put 144mhz and i just leave the voltage core 'spec'
, and i ask for the multiplier i need to enable it or disable , because i put it ×21 ... but idont know why the temprerature is wery hight like this when i open a game , just when i open a game ...

Which Intel Cooler, the one that came with the i3, or the one with the i7?
"I'm sure about the installation cpu" - you cleaned & reapplied thermal paste?

Why are you messing with multipliers? The motherboard will handle all that for you. If you want to overclock you definitely need a better cooler. So you just want to leave everything at default settings. Can I strongly suggest you return to the BIOS and "Load Optimised Defaults" and then check your temps again.

Jun 1, 2018
yes i reinstal the same cooler for i3 .. yes i cleaned and i buy a thermal and i instal it carefully .. in bios i change cpu ration setting from 133 mhz ( i3 configuration ) to 144 mhz and i change cpu frequence seeting to *21 (i fix it) .. because when i reset it to 133 and i enable cpu frequence setting , cpu clock become under 2.8 ghz ... ( min: 1.2ghz to 1.7 sometimes ) but now with multiplier 21 and bus speed 144 most time work with 3 ghz clock .. i never change cpu voltage ..

There's a few key points to consider here...

1) The BIOS knows about your CPU and should handle all the multipliers and settings itself. Intel designed that CPU with a whole range of settings and tolerances at different loads. The motherboard by default will run to Intel's spec. Generally speaking, those specs are where you want to leave things.

2) You want your CPU to drop down to 1.2 and 1.7 (or whatever) when it's not under load. That's exactly what it's supposed to do. That's Intel's design and the motherboard will implement it by default. If you apply a load to the CPU (like start the "bench" in CPU-Z) it should fire the CPU to full power and hit your expected boost frequencies. But at idle it will sit lower to save power.

3) Therefore, the problem you say you "fixed" - I don't think that was a problem at all. That was the CPU doing what it was designed to do.

4) You may not have explicitly changed the CPU voltage, but it will be set to "auto" and when you start changing multipliers and base clocks the motherboard may decide to throw in more voltage to compensate.

5) The first step in solving an IT issue is to put everything back to default as much as possible and work forwards from there. Maybe the CPU wasn't running properly before and you had to go into the BIOS to fix it. But in any case, you now have a temperature problem and Step 1 in solving it is to go back to defaults and test again.

So... can I strongly encourage you to:
a) "Load Optimised Defaults" in the BIOS
b) While monitoring frequency and thermals, apply a CPU load (like the Bench in CPU-Z) and see what happens. Are your temps okay then? Does your frequency hit what it's supposed to?