[SOLVED] Cpu running at half (no solution of this issue on internet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
Hello, i've tried more than 10 solutions, like disabling speedstep from bios, i also tried uninstall both processor drivers, also tried many stress tests (CPU-z and hwinfo was used to monitor and for stress i used userbenchmark & intel burn test also tried to put load with applications and heavy videos but still i can get only 1.26 or rarely 1.27 ghz frequency on a dual core p8400 which is 2.26 ghz, im using a dell precision m6400, without battery, with a 110watt AC adapter. Any solution to this problem? i've seen many posts like this but none got solution to mine.

Solution
Oct 5, 2020
Sometimes Motherboard blocking half of cores, because of socket technology and looks like You have the same issue
I get the same situation when I used the Phenom 2 X4 955 BE and bought FX-8350. On 8350 (8 cores) I could use only 4 and the other was blocked by the motherboard. After buying new MB everything works fine

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
Sometimes Motherboard blocking half of cores, because of socket technology and looks like You have the same issue
I get the same situation when I used the Phenom 2 X4 955 BE and bought FX-8350. On 8350 (8 cores) I could use only 4 and the other was blocked by the motherboard. After buying new MB everything works fine
i don't think this is a motherboard issue

Last edited:
Solution
Make sure SpeedStep is enabled in the BIOS. When this is disabled, it is not unusual for Dell laptops to get stuck at their lowest speed.

Download ThrottleStop from TechPowerUp. Check the Clock Mod box and make sure that is set to 100.0%. Check the Set Multiplier box and set that to the maximum value. The P8400 supports Intel Dynamic Acceleration so Set Multiplier should be set to 9.0.

Below that, set the VID voltage to the maximum value. Make sure SpeedStep is checked. Press the Turn On button. Run the built in TS Bench test. While your CPU is loaded running this test, take and post a screenshot of ThrottleStop. Do both a 1 Thread test as well as a 2 Thread test. I need to see what speed your CPU is running at and the C0% while it is loaded.

There is also a BD PROCHOT option on the main screen. If your CPU is not running at full speed, try clearing that box.

Ignore the rest of the helpful advice in this thread. ThrottleStop was specifically written to help Dell laptops that are not running at their full rated speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.