Question CPU running at higher speed then it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Hey guys, Merry Christmas first of all.

I just upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a new motherboard, an ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, and something strange is occurring. I booted up without changing anything in BIOS except some boot options, and when I check the speed my CPU is running at, it's constantly at 4.0 GHz even in idle. My CPU has a base clock speed of 3.6, so it's already running faster than normal. The temps are also pretty damn high at 65 ish idle and it goes up to 80 in load.

I went into BIOS to investigate, as I have never tried overclocking in all the years I've been doing PC related stuff, and I found myself in a branch of settings called AI tweaker. There's a bunch of settings here, but there was one called an enhanced boost, which according to the description overclocks both memory and CPU. I turned it from AUTO to DISABLED and rebooted and the issue is still there. If somebody could please help me figure it out.

Edit: to add to all of this, after inspecting HWINFO64, my clock speed seems to be fluctuating heavily. It goes from a 2.9 to a 4.1 back down to a 3.2 in a second. I can also hear one of my fans going up and down in speed because of this.

Picture of the AI Tweaker Page and CPU speed
View: https://imgur.com/a/100DtR2

Last edited:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
First of all I would update your BIOS to the latest version to ensure full compatibility.
Then I would reset any settings that you changed back to their defaults so that you know they are where they should be at.

In Windows you can use the Power Saving Plan to lower the CPU speed to around 2200 MHZ if it is still running too high.

Andy

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
that's the boost speed when you're running essentially one core with others idle

boost clock can go up to 4.2 btw
Yeah apparently after doing research its a feature of the Ryzens chip. I guess it's not doing any harm. I rechecked temperatures with the official AMD Ryzen Master app and they were fine at around 67 while playing dark souls which is fine.
I've always had shitty CPU's, so I wasn't used to this much power lol.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
First of all I would update your BIOS to the latest version to ensure full compatibility.
Then I would reset any settings that you changed back to their defaults so that you know they are where they should be at.

In Windows you can use the Power Saving Plan to lower the CPU speed to around 2200 MHZ if it is still running too high.

Andy
I should update BIOS, but I've always been scared of doing it, even though I have a backup generator in case the power goes out lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.