Question CPU Running at really low GHZ

Nov 2, 2019
While just trying to play fortnite (i know lol) my cpu cant even hit 1ghz, and fortnites a cpu main game so, gpu is running fine. I have a h80i cpu cooler and it idles around 40-50. its's making it really hard (i mean I can't even have 3 chrome tabs open at once. ( i5 8400, i know it isnt the best cpu but its what I had to get when I built.

open task manager/performance, and observe clock speeds...are you stuck at 800 MHz? (Often, chipset drivers might be MS defaults vice the correct vendor supplied drivers, which rarely lead to correct CPU performance...)

Under a semi-heavy load, you should see 3.6 GHz or so clock speeds maintained...; tinkering on the desktop, opening and closing various applications, you should see occasional spikes to 4000 MHz.

Nov 2, 2019
open task manager/performance, and observe clock speeds...are you stuck at 800 MHz? (Often, chipset drivers might be MS defaults vice the correct vendor supplied drivers, which rarely lead to correct CPU performance...)

Under a semi-heavy load, you should see 3.6 GHz or so clock speeds maintained...; tinkering on the desktop, opening and closing various applications, you should see occasional spikes to 4000 MHz.
Only while playing games and having a few different chrome windows open. But it just started happening a month and a half ago, before that it was fine. Not at exactly 800Hhz but between 800 and 1300 while playing games. I can't even hit the base normally which is 2.8ghz with everything except discord task manager closed.

Is there a discrete GPU involved, or are you playing with integrated graphics?

Run/monitor HWMonitor, and, CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU...

See if the CPU scales to at least 3.4-3.6 GHz on all cores, and, temps under 80-85C or so....

Make sure you are not in Economy mode in WIndows power plan...?

Nov 2, 2019
Is there a discrete GPU involved, or are you playing with integrated graphics?

Run/monitor HWMonitor, and, CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU...

See if the CPU scales to at least 3.4-3.6 GHz on all cores, and, temps under 80-85C or so....

Make sure you are not in Economy mode in WIndows power plan...?
Yea I have a GTX 1650
They have been ran ✔️
I am in performance mode ✔️

Nov 2, 2019
Update: After doing a bit of recon in my pc, i think it's the cooler corsair h60, after powerering down my computer and removing my cpu cooling its noticably hotter then what the icue software, like 30-40 degrees hotter, wondering if a new cpu cooler would do the job if anyone knows?