Question CPU running hot after OS migrate to SSD

Jul 21, 2019
Hi,

I am having issues with my laptop CPU running hotter than it used to after migrated the OS and OEM boot partitions from the stock HDD to a SSD. Before I continue here is the laptop model and specs. I do want to mention that migrating the data from the HDD to a SSD was the last thing I did, when the higher temps started. All other upgrades were done 6 months ago and were all done after 1 month of owning the laptop.

• MSI GP73 Leopard-609, 1060 6gb, 1tb barracuda HDD(as of now, not in laptop)
  • 32gb RAM (upgraded from 8gb)
  • Samsung 970 evo pro pcie nvme SSD 1tb (only xplane 11 w/ custom scenery/plug-ins files in this drive.)
  • re-did thermal paste (used Artic MX4), was cheaper to upgrade myself than the shop I purchased the laptop from, made a nice 2-3c difference by the way.
  • 500gb WD Blue nvme pcie SN500 (installed last week)
No other files, programs were installed/changed after upgrades, unless it went to the ssd for xplane 11. Cpu Temps before going SSD when running xplane 11 was between 68c-73c, usage never exceeded 30%. It would only spike to 75c when CPU usage was at 30% (usually to load custom scenery while flying, i.e. HD mesh tiles, HD autogen objects/textures). GPU never saw more than 72c (voltage underclocked). I do want to mention now that there were no issues with loading, no stutters/freezing during game play with the HDD, even though no X-plane 11 files are on the drive. When in youtube, everyday web surfing, cpu temps would never go above 55c and usage never exceeded 20%, even with multiple screens open.

After installing and migrating OS to SSD, I noticed that my CPU usage was constantly at 30%, no open/running programs. Dug into task manager, made a few changes with some processes that weren't necessary and it dropped down, between 5%-15%. I did not have to do this when I had the HDD. When I ran x-plane 11 and during flight, I my cpu temps were floating between 78c-95c. It would reach 95c when loading high scenery areas/weather and was stuttering, even slow loading times. With the HDD, same areas I flew in, it never exceeded 75c. My gpu temps were the same with HDD never went above 72c. CPU usage was at a constant 30%, but usage with HDD never went above 25%, even with chrome in the background, however, temps raised about 10c with SSD. When only web browsing using google chrome cpu usage went higher as well with SSD, 20-25%. No other processes were added, no other programs running, etc.

I read a lot of solutions, or it could be this or that and none worked or was not related. No heatsinks, fans, etc were touched, misaligned and were checked. All screws holding down the cooling system and on the CPU and GPU were good. I religiously clean my laptop of dust and whatnot monthly, sometimes every 2 weeks. I've checked to make sure all drivers, programs, and firmware were up to date. Fans running normal. Speaking of fans, I have to run my fans at a higher curve after the ssd install when doing everyday computing. No matter what, I've always used "cooler boost" when gaming with and w/o the HDD and SSD.

To sum it up, since migrating the data from the HDD to a SSD, I've noticed a substantial increase in CPU usage and temps. I did reinstall the HDD , took out the SSD and temps went back to where they were. However, I do like the speed of things with the ssd compared to the HDD, so I'd rather find a solution instead if going back to a HDD.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about doing a fresh install since I thought cloning the drive could cause things to get funky, just thought about looking to see if cloning has any known major issues. I have started saving files I need from the SSD and will do a fresh install after work tonight and see how that goes.

Jul 21, 2019
UPDATE
I did a fresh windows install and I can say that there was improvement, more of the cpu not throttling as much, stuttering went away and noticed temps at idle were lower than before, about an average of 45c. Only about 20% load was seen and an average temp of 72c while playing xplane 11. After reading that SSDs can make your cpu run harder, which would create more heat, I thought about redoing the thermal paste for the hell of it. Come to find out that after doing the paste, my temps are a lot lower than they were before. The cpu is now at an average of 67c in xplane(high scenery areas) and during a couple of tests, my average cpu temp was the same. My gpu lowered to an average of 55c at high load and during benchmark tests compared to 65c.

Now, did a fresh install of windows work? Yes and redoing the paste made it even better.