CPU running hot at idle (70c) and frequently maxing out (100c)

LukeHux

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Hi all,

Specs:
Asus Maximus VI Hero C2 Motherboard
8GB ram.
Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150)
- Just installed the Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo. I thought the heatsink/ stock CPU fan might be the issue so installed a new one and it's running cooler but still crashing. Fan and thermal paste installed correctly.
Samsung SAM 850 Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive
WD 2 TB 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive
Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics Card (2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0)
Windows 10 OS - :(

Additional info:
2 fans in the case running on turbo.
Bios info shows the same sort of temps 70c+.
Checked CPU temps with Core Temp.

Problem:
I built the computer at the start of this year. It's been running fine but recently has started to crash showing CPU Over Temperature errors. So the main issue seems to be that my CPU keeps getting to 100c and causing the computer to crash when doing things that I would consider to be minimal load - (browsing the internet for a long period of time, but mostly playing Dota 2). As stated above I recently replaced the stock CPU fan and it is running a bit cooler, but it's still crashing which is less that ideal. I double checked that I installed the fan and applied the paste correctly, any ideas as to why my CPU may be overheating?

Thanks in advance.
Luke

Solution

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
This does seem like a thermal paste issue, but it doesn't explain why it started getting hot after a while without seemingly any change. You mentioned it's installed correctly but can you be sure? Please explain how you installed the paste/how much etc.
Also, are there any other components that are getting hot? Whats the temps on that video card? Whats the ambient temperature of the room and is there clear airflow for the hot air to leave the case?
The only other thing I can think of right now is that some process is running in the background of your computer that is constantly using the CPU at max. Check to see if the CPU is constantly loaded. Although, with that cooler, even at 100% load you should not be over heating.
If its not the CPU that being loaded, are you doing something like bitcoin mining that is constantly using 100% of the graphics card and the card is dumping hot air into the case?
There's likely a combination of issues that causing you to over heat.
Also, you haven't increased the voltage you're giving the CPU right?

LukeHux

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Thanks for the answers.

CPU cooler installed as per instructions given. Double check this with an online guide. CPU has been working fine so I assume it was installed correctly when I did it earlier this year. I used a small blob of paste (maybe half an inch or so?).

Not sure what temp my graphics card is but the mobo is around 20c, which I think is fairly normal. Room temp is cold for the house, maybe around 16-18c. 2 fans in the case pumping air out, the case is cold to the touch so I assume it's fairly cool.

In terms of processes running in the background I know that Norton uses up a fair amount of resources at times but I've got the internet and Dota 2 client launched now and the CPU is running at 8% (around 5% idle). Memory running around 47% (probably due to the game client.

I haven't changed the voltage toward the CPU.

I will check out the Dota forums to see if it's a known issue, but the PC still crashes randomly when I'm on the internet. Also I've run a number of scans to make sure I haven't got a virus and there doesn't seem to be anything malicious there.

I've tried using CoreTemp and it says the CPU is around 50-60c when idle and 70+c when under limited load.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

These temps you listed above are fairly normal. Also, these CPU's shouldn't crash if they get to 100 degrees, they simply throttle themselves down becoming slower so they don't get damaged. How do you know if the CPU was getting to 100 degrees?
Does you PC crash doing any other tasks other than when Dota is running? If not, i'm leaning towards software as opposed to hardware issue. Maybe look for a memory test software (such ast MemTest86) and do a memory scan just to make sure you're not having a RAM issue.

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I have the exact same cpu and cooler, and i am getting 23-26c idle and around 50c while gaming...even under artificial stress tests it never goes above 70c. It must be a problem with the cooler itself...are you overclocked??

LukeHux

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

I think it must be getting up to around 100c because when I re-boot after a crash (blue screen on death) the BIOS gives me the error "CPU Over Temperature Error". I then look in the BIOS and the temp it around 70-80c. The BSOD tends to happen when I'm playing Dota but also happened the other day when I was just browsing the internet. The only other programs (other than system stuff) running in the background are Norton and maybe the Razer Synapse which handles micros for my mouse.

To give you an idea of things, I've had the computer on for around an hour just with this thread and a few other tabs open and, according to Core Temp, the Min temp is 70c and the max is 100c.
5lF8oke.png

http://i.imgur.com/5lF8oke.png

Not sure about my memory, it seems to be installed correctly as it's showing 8gb when I check my specs. Will look into this.

I'm not overclocked. The cooler is brand new so if anything is the problem it could be the CPU.

To be honest it could be windows 10, it could be the new Dota 2 client. I'll have a look around on their forums to see if I can shed any light on this.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Ok, yeah thats too hot. Even if any software is loading your CPU it should not be getting that hot. unless you're overclocked and running constant 100 percent, those temps are too high.
I would take the CPU cooler off, wipe the thermal paste off with a q-tip and alcohol, and re-apply it with a very small amount (small like a grain of rice) and when putting the cooler back, make sure there's quite a bit of pressure between it and the CPU (not too much of course, but it should be quite snug). I've never heard of a CPU "problem" that would create abnormal heat like that without being able to pull the heat away with a good cooler. The CPU will either work or not, and if it's not, they just crash all the time not even giving a chance to heat up...

Solution

LukeHux

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

Ok, thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.

I will re-fit the cpu cooler and heatsink/ paste. I'm also going to try and update the bios to see if that's an issue (probably not, but worth a try). Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again all!

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I went and downloaded Core Temp to test my temps against yours, and CoreTemp shows my temps higher than my bios utility. I have also confirmed the temps from my bios utility against speedfan, and there is no discrepancy. I am not sure if this program is measuring something different or just measuring inaccurately but I would recommend using a different temp monitoring program. Either way, your temps are way too hot. Here are is a screenshot of my temps:
xnAfLPs.png

I agree that you should try reinstalling this cooler fan one more time and be careful with the cooling paste. Less is more :). Keep us updated!

Lawrence Taylor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014
thats a thermal paste problem.

Be sure to clean off your cpu chip really well. Also make sure you clean off the heatsink to your water cooler well also. Apply a small (not too small) dap in the middle of the processor, and put your heatsink back on and the pressure from that will spread it out itself. What king of thermal paste are you using anyway? some thermal paste are cheap/

LukeHux

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

Went and cleaned off the CPU and cooler, applied a small amount of thermal paste and re-fitted the CPU fan (bit tighter this time) and it all seems to be working well. Played a game of Dota 2 and no crashes and have had it on for most of the day today. Thanks for all the advice - ended up being user error, what an idiot I am!

Really interesting to compare temps with a similar system, I'm getting those sort of temps at the moment. Hopefully it's problem solved. Thanks for the advice and time taken to compare temps!

Yeah I think you were right, as a side note I used Arctic MX-4. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks again all. You're lifesavers!