[SOLVED] Cpu running hot while video editing

May 13, 2020
Hey guys,I am using an core i7 4770 on stock cooler for last 5 years.

Recently it is giving me trouble. The temp on the cpu soars as high as 100 degrees while video editing,decompressing files.

So i thought i should replace my thermal paste which i did and cleaned the heatsink and it still runs at 98-100 degrees in hwmonitor and it doesnn't shuts itself down automatically!!!!

i had run intel burn test on standard and still same result.

surprisingly idle temp are in range 38-44 degrees.

is my stock cooler dying? should i replace it.

Solution
Then, I would say your temperatures are normal.
Do not worry.
The processor will monitor it's temperature and will slow down or shut off to protect itself.
That point is around 100c.

You can probably get better and quieter cooling with an aftermarket cooler.
cm hyper212 is decent and cheap, but I have found it to be tricky to install.
From an ease of installation point of view, noctua are about the best.
The intel stock cooler can be tricky to mount well.
I would expect to see 10.15c. over ambient at idle.

There is nothing to die in the stock cooler except the fan.
Verify that your case is supplying adequate fresh air intake for the cooler to do it's job.

Likely you could benefit from a remount,
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2020
The intel stock cooler can be tricky to mount well.
I would expect to see 10.15c. over ambient at idle.

There is nothing to die in the stock cooler except the fan.
Verify that your case is supplying adequate fresh air intake for the cooler to do it's job.

Likely you could benefit from a remount,
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already checked the pins at the back of mobo for bad mount but it was properly placed,used pea size paste so it doesn't act like insulator.

The fan been working properly.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
did you clean dust etc. out of the heat sync fins , fans etc. ? id imagine video editing would be hard on any CPU , I'm sure its made to run the CPU as hard as possible to get the work done as fast as possible. perhaps adjust the CPU fan curve some to a higher performance

May 13, 2020
did you clean dust etc. out of the heat sync fins , fans etc. ? id imagine video editing would be hard on any CPU , I'm sure its made to run the CPU as hard as possible to get the work done as fast as possible. perhaps adjust the CPU fan curve some to a higher performance

I recently cleaned my cabinet all the fans and CPU heatsink using blower. The cabinet did not accumulate much dust as I bought it recently.

During high load the fan runs at 100% as I can hear the noise of it blowing air

The cabinet has good airflow with 4 fans installed. I also tried to run test while opening the side panel still the result was same.

Can only heatsink stop conducting as it gets old?

May 13, 2020
How about dust in your system?
Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.

Ultimately, I think I would buy a tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan.
Under load, your pc will be quieter.

I cleaned it recently the whole system with a blower. No dust is present.

Finally if nothing works I would go for a new air cooler but I cannot buy it now due to lockdown of covid outbreak

What I did was to get bes software to limit my CPU load to 70% and do my work
Temp were near 68-70 degrees

May 13, 2020
have you checked for virus/malware etc ? i think personally its simply the software pushing the CPU to its limits, stock coolers are not always the best or perhaps HWMonitor is not reading accurate, from what i can find that CPU should thermal throttle at 100°C Toms hardware i7 4770

Recently updated my windows and checked for malware and viruses

Problem was persisting prior to windows update

That what I thought it should have throttled but it doesn't.

Previous my gtx 560ti throttled due to high temperature and that would restart my pc
So I got a new gtx 1060 6gb

The heatsink metal will not deteriorate and lose it's cooling ability.
But, grime can accumulate on the fins which will reduce it's efficiency.

What is your ambient temperature?
Idle temperatures in the 38-44c still seems a bit high if your ambient is in the 20c. range.
I might try another remount, paying particular attention to pushing down diagonally on the pins to seat the cooler level.

What is the make/model of your case?
Where are the 4 fans installed, and how are they oriented?
You probably have it right since removing case covers did nothing.

May 13, 2020
3 fans are installed at front one at the back
The heatsink metal will not deteriorate and lose it's cooling ability.
But, grime can accumulate on the fins which will reduce it's efficiency.

What is your ambient temperature?
Idle temperatures in the 38-44c still seems a bit high if your ambient is in the 20c. range.
I might try another remount, paying particular attention to pushing down diagonally on the pins to seat the cooler level.

What is the make/model of your case?
Where are the 4 fans installed, and how are they oriented?
You probably have it right since removing case covers did nothing.

3 fans at front one at back, opening the case doesn't do anything.

Case is Antesports ice TG 400. It is a cheap case as I was not going to invest much on old components.

Is ambient temperature different from idle temp?

The stock cooler shouldn't have deteriorated over time, but those push pins will lose their grip over time. This is why aftermarket coolers have a backplate and use screws. Almost any aftermarket cooler should work better and longer.

Temporarily you can simply set all the fans in your system manually to 100%. Yes, this will generate a lot more noise, but it will keep things from burning up.

Your case and fans look fine.
I presume the 3 front are intakes and the rear is exhaust.
Dangling a tissue in front of the fan will confirm airflow direction.

Ambient temperature is also known as room temperature.
This is important because any cooler starts at that temperature, and the hotter your room is the hotter your starting temperature is.

May 13, 2020
Your case and fans look fine.
I presume the 3 front are intakes and the rear is exhaust.
Dangling a tissue in front of the fan will confirm airflow direction.

Ambient temperature is also known as room temperature.
This is important because any cooler starts at that temperature, and the hotter your room is the hotter your starting temperature is.

Room temp is around 28 degrees as I live in a hot country with outside temp around 37 degrees in afternoon during peak summer it goes to 45 degrees.

Do not worry.
The processor will monitor it's temperature and will slow down or shut off to protect itself.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
2 things will cause your CPU temps to climb. Bad airflow in the case and dusty clogged intake filters. Also a heatsink that just can't keep up with high ambient temperatures.

I remember one summer night was really hot and my system was shutting down at a LAN. I was using the stock heatsink since my case in the process of a mod. I had to swap out for a better aftermarket cooler and all was fine.

May 13, 2020
Do not worry.

I was video editing for at least 2 hours continuously and still it did not go off to protect itself. I never tweaked with the bios settings and they are at default.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
it may not shut off if it thermal throttles, it just slows down the CPU core speeds and lowers voltage so it don't fry itself. I'm not sure if they always just shut down , if they can maintain at the 100°C i could be wrong though.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ive seen another post on another form where they solved this issue when the OP checked the push pins that hold the cooler in place, turns out 3 of the 4 were in place which made it hard to tell the 4th was not locked in place, once he locked it in place his temps went to normal range under load , (around 80°C) I7 100°C /wt stock fan

May 13, 2020
I checked my pc while gaming by installing farcry new dawn.

Resolution 2560x1440, everything maxed out,draw distance maxed.

CPU
AVG temp 68-70 degrees
Max temp 92 degrees
Max CPU usage 89%