Question CPU running hotter with new Asus Motherboard

Feb 24, 2019
Hi guys, so i used to have a MSI B250M Pro VD and a 7700k (yeah i got it first and then the mobo, so i had to used on my old MB) and i jusy got an ASUS Z270-P.

Thing is, with the old mobo i got 37-38 C (sometimes on hot days around 40C). With the new mobo i no have 44-45. I re aplied thermal paste twice, so its not that. I dont know much about Asus settings so idk if i should change something to get my old temps back. My fans are running the exact same (or close to) profiles.

I disable Power Enhancement, but didnt work. So what would you guys think it is? Any help?

Feb 24, 2019
Did anything else change? Did you install any other devices? Did you perform a clean install of Windows and the application you are measuring temps with?

No hardware nor Software changes. No new Windows install, no HWMonitor new install. Tbh i kinda dont want to install Windows again. You think that would work?

Feb 24, 2019
Try uninstalling hwmonitor and then reinstalling it. You may be experiencing some sensor issues after swapping out hardware.

Thanks, would try. Afterburner also gives me the same temps, but would see.

Are the cores at the same frequency as before ? ASUS can automatically run them at max turbo regardless of load. The bios switch is called MCE .Increased freq equals more heat.

They are running at max while gaming, stress test, etc. Idle they are "fine" (i think), go down to 1.0ghz, then up, etc etc. No max turbo all the time.

Try updating bios.

Also disable "AUTO voltage "

I updated the BIOS, nothing there. I THINK (not sure) there is no Auto Voltage option. There are voltage (like core voltage) options that can be set to Auto, but cant find Auto Voltage alone.

Feb 24, 2019
To be honest i have heard that the 7700k runs a bit hot...Maybe switching a cooler?

Thanks for the help man, but i just changed cooler (Scythe Mugen 5, great cooler) and i was never going over 70C. This just happened, tonight, 4 hours ago with my new Motherboard.

OK I THINK i got what was it. Just checked while writing this. I have 3000Mhz RAM. With my old mobo (b250m) i could just get it to 2400 1.2V. I checked the "auto" settings and my RAM is running at 3000/1.35, so i manually changed it to 2400/1.2V and its 40-41. Still a little higher but hey, its something (and its kinda hot right now).

So the next question would be: Do Ram Speed/Voltage affect CPU temps that much? I mean, i have seen some friend builds with Air cooling and 3200+Mhz RAM and they dont have such a big change.

Feb 24, 2019
Voltage always affects temps..Also depends of your case airflow too...Sometimes the version of the bios lower or upper the temps.

Thanks. Its kinda back again to 44-45C but you know, i really dont care at this point. Just gonna set it to 3000 1.35 and leave it like that, cause it wont change much.

Again, thanks for your help.

Feb 24, 2019
You did uninstall all the old motherboard drivers and install new (from asus/support) motherboard chipset drivers right?

Yep, i did. I just "found out" the reason (it seems). Running my RAM at auto settings from the BIOS (2133 1.2v, which changed cause auto settings was 3000/1.35 before) would make my CPU go to "regular" temps. If i change it to 2400 (auto 1.2) it would go up (42-43) if i go even more (2666 1.2) same would happen (45-46 like i was before)

So yeah, i can say now (running it at auto 2133 1.2v 38C) that my CPU temps are directly affected by my RAM temps. I didnt know that but it kinda makes sense. What it doesnt make senses is that my old mobo usted to run at 2400 1.2 at 38, so with this one to get those temps i have to go 2133, so really slow.

Any way to change this? Is it just like that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The memory controller is part of the cpu, but ram isn't. Ram voltage and speed shouldn't have that much affect on a cpu unless you are running very high % ram usage. At idle it should be next to no change at all. Normally it'd affect Ryzen more than Intel since Ryzen infinity fabric (hyperthreading) is tied to ram speeds. Intels aren't much affected by speeds so close to their normal operation speed which for kabylake is 2400MHz anyways.

Reactions: Alexj9626
Feb 24, 2019
The memory controller is part of the cpu, but ram isn't. Ram voltage and speed shouldn't have that much affect on a cpu unless you are running very high % ram usage. At idle it should be next to no change at all. Normally it'd affect Ryzen more than Intel since Ryzen infinity fabric (hyperthreading) is tied to ram speeds. Intels aren't much affected by speeds so close to their normal operation speed which for kabylake is 2400MHz anyways.

Thanks, but it does tho.

I just selected XMP and one of the options was 2666 with given timings, it LOOKS like its ok now and my temps are kinda fine. (1 or 2 degrees higher, but way better than before)

So maybe there is a problem with just selecting RAM speed and changing voltage? Cause with the profile from XMP its getting a little better.

Maybe i need to manually select my timings if i want it to go higher? Does that (selecting and not selecting timings) affect CPU temps in any way?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well timings are the working instructions for the ram. If those are bunk, your ram could work harder than it likes, raising ram temps. System Agent is usually the voltage going to the memory controller, if that's set higher than it needs, that will increase cpu temps. SA should be around 1.15v, IO should be SA - 0.05, PLL should be about 1.1v. There've been reports of SA running as high as 1.38v, IO at 1.32v and PLL over 1.2v. That's gonna jack up cpu temps, and can be set high by XMP or even dropped lower than auto settings by XMP, improving temps.

Reactions: Alexj9626
Feb 24, 2019
Well timings are the working instructions for the ram. If those are bunk, your ram could work harder than it likes, raising ram temps. System Agent is usually the voltage going to the memory controller, if that's set higher than it needs, that will increase cpu temps. SA should be around 1.15v, IO should be SA - 0.05, PLL should be about 1.1v. There've been reports of SA running as high as 1.38v, IO at 1.32v and PLL over 1.2v. That's gonna jack up cpu temps, and can be set high by XMP or even dropped lower than auto settings by XMP, improving temps.

Thanks! So in the end it was the RAM, i should do it with XMP from now on and if i want to go higher (cause XMP is just 2800) then i should change the timings with it, it seems.

Thanks again, have a great day.