CPU running insanely hot

peackeeper92

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Hi i just bought a new i7 7700k cpu and finally got everything working except for the fact that the temperature and voltage was a bit high running at 1.3 volts just in Google Chrome and reaching 92 degrees celsius just browsing the Web after about 20 minutes i look in open hardware monitor again and The temp is at 112 degrees at 0.7 volts basically not doing anything so i got scared of it frying and turned it off. I use an aftermarket fan that is recommended for an i7 so im wondering what is making it run that hot?

Solution
Hello,

Make sure the CPU fan is spinning when the system is active, ensure its in the correct socket 'cpu fan'.
Also ensure theres a good amount of thermal paste on the CPU, if there isnt any, something like this can happen.

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Hello,

Make sure the CPU fan is spinning when the system is active, ensure its in the correct socket 'cpu fan'.
Also ensure theres a good amount of thermal paste on the CPU, if there isnt any, something like this can happen.

Solution

Chad_40

Commendable
Mar 26, 2017
I would definitely reseat the heat sink and reapply the thermal paste, i have always used the pea sized method with great results. I also think you may be getting wrong reads on temps or perhaps looking at Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. I have a 7700k idle its at around 30 c which is around 90 f. I have had an AIO pump quit working and at 100c i was basically unable to use the pc because of thermal throttling, so im assuming if you were hitting a true 112 c your pc would be unusable or would just shut itself down.