[SOLVED] CPU running under 1GHz, doesn't increase in games

Im-Liam

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
CPU - i7-4790K

As per the title, I was having this issue with my CPU speeds plus my CPU temperatures were generally very high, going above 90 degrees. I asked for advice and the general consensus was that my AIO was dead, considering it was 7 years old it made sense. So I bought a new AIO - Corsair H100x, and intalled it today, temperatures are now 40/50 degrees so big improvement, however my CPU speeds are still not going up in games. When I try to play CSGO I get around 20 - 50 fps as opposed to the 300+ I was getting before I had the temperature issue.
I have no idea why my CPU isn't being utilised so I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Solution
@Im-Liam
Run ThrottleStop and open up the Limit Reasons window.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Does it show BD PROCHOT in red or some other reason for throttling? If you are seeing BD PROCHOT in red, clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. This is a common problem on older computers.

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15 minutes. Your log file will be in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here. This log file will record CPU speed, temperatures and any reasons for throttling. Useful information when trying to solve problems like you are having.

Also post some screenshots of...

Im-Liam

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

check both the cpu/gpu temp?
Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB
Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red DDR3 @ 2133 MHz
Corsair H100x CPU Water Cooler
Corsair RM Series 750W 70+ Gold (PSU)

CPU temp is currently around 45-50 degrees, GPU is 60 degrees

@Im-Liam
Run ThrottleStop and open up the Limit Reasons window.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Does it show BD PROCHOT in red or some other reason for throttling? If you are seeing BD PROCHOT in red, clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. This is a common problem on older computers.

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15 minutes. Your log file will be in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here. This log file will record CPU speed, temperatures and any reasons for throttling. Useful information when trying to solve problems like you are having.

Also post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how the BIOS has setup your CPU.

Solution

Im-Liam

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
@uWebb429

The BD PROCHOT turned red when I went into the game of CS to record the log, I left the box ticked whilst recording it however there is no logs folder for me even though I have the Log File option ticked.

The link below is throttlestop when in game, the link below that is HWInfo in game.

ThrottleStop

HWInfo

Considering the temperatures I'm getting in game disabling BD PROCHOT seems like it may mess up the PC. The only thing I can think of is maybe the AIO isn't installed correctly, or isn't making good contact with the CPU? The temperatures are fine when doing anything else.

The ThrottleStop log file should be in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder.

Your temps are way too high. Either your AIO is not installed correctly or it is not making full contact with the CPU or the pump is dead. You cannot expect maximum performance when the CPU is hitting 100C.