CPU running very hot with my new NZXT Kraken x52 Cooler

Yanaski

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
I recently bought a Kraken x52 hoping my CPU temps would get better instead a cheap CPU fan..

My idle temp is 20c-25c, fans running at 770rpm. Sometimes out of nowhere when watching a vid or opening a Google Chrome my temps would shoot upto 60c-70c for about 5sec.
When I'm playing a game my CPU gets upto 98C! While ALL my fans are on full speed.
Ive got 2 intake fans at the front connected on the Kraken Radiator, 3 exhaust fans on top and 1 at the back.
My Liquid temp always stays low, idle 26C and 2210RPM pump speed.

I did not apply my own Thermal paste but left the Thermal paste on the Kraken x52 where it came with.

p3Nj44y.jpg

L8CMbb0.jpg

My specs are:
Asus Z170 Pro gaming
Intel i7 6700k 4.2ghz
Kraken x52
GTX 1080ti Strix OC

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You've connected the SATA power, the USB header, 3pin fan from the pump, the USB connector and the 4pin fans for control?
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8106/nzxt-kraken-x52-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index4.html

Are you physically seeing the fans turn? Or just trusting the monitoring software? (I assume CAM?).
While it would be pretty extreme and rare, a faulty readout may have the rig 'think' the fans are hitting full-speed when, in actually, they're not?

Spikes are not unheard of, and your idle temps sounds right .... but your load temps are definitely off.
You've stated 4.2.GHz (stock), but just to be clear, you haven't overclocked the CPU?

Yanaski

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
I have done everything you just mentioned.
I can see the fans spinning, first I was thinking they just didnt spin even tho CAM said they were but thats not it.
My CPU is overclocked through my BIOS, its on Optimal mode.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not 100% sure what "Optimal mode" does...... I believe it used to just be "high performance" mode, which shouldn't OC anything, other than potentially enabling XMP.

Can you "load optimized defaults" in the BIOS, and run a stress test? It may well just be a poor auto-overclock that's over-volting you.

Yanaski

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
Optimal mode is the old Performance mode I think yes, I just went and turned it back to normal so running at 4.00ghz atm, did a stress test and my temps are 85c :/
It rly doesnt make sense, my boyfriend pretty much has the same PC and is running with the same Cooler and his temps are great as in like 60-70c under load.