CPU Running Very Hot

Sir_Dorla

Reputable
May 15, 2014
I've just finished a build with a I-5 4679K, a Gigabyte Z87-HD3 and Enermax ETS-T40 and was alarmed to find with no overclock MSI Afterburner is reading 45C at 20% usage, 60-65 at 40% and about 90 at 100. I applied the included thermal paste in a shape between an un-cooked grain of rice and a cooked grain of rice. Anyone know whats going wrong? Could it just be a broken thermostat?

Solution
you likely need a little more paste... a grain of rice is a very small amount and is likely not covering the cpu properly.
you want a blob about the size of a garden pea (not a marrowfat 1) in the middle of the cpu. apply the cooler and give it a light left right twist till you feel it stiffen then lock it down. expeimenting with the paste is advisable as you can get big variances if its applied outside the manufacturers spec/directions.
you likely need a little more paste... a grain of rice is a very small amount and is likely not covering the cpu properly.
you want a blob about the size of a garden pea (not a marrowfat 1) in the middle of the cpu. apply the cooler and give it a light left right twist till you feel it stiffen then lock it down. expeimenting with the paste is advisable as you can get big variances if its applied outside the manufacturers spec/directions.

Solution