addavar

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Maximus x Hero (wifi) i7 8700k 3.7ghz (liquid cooling)
16gb vengeance LPX 3000hz c15
960 m.2 ssd
gtx 1070
750W Gold+

So i've been overclocking my system @ 5ghz w/ AVX target @ 4.8ghz (stable under stress tests temp at 90-95c under load) and it crashes when i play my games. so i load default settings to see if it would crazy during my games, i'm not sure if it has haha i haven't used it under "optimal default." TO THE POINT! ok i notice that after i set everything back to optimal default, the CPU is @4.3ghz-4.7ghz and not stable at 3.7ghz.

1) Why is my cpu running at higher speed happening?

2) not the main question but.... Why is it crashing during games, the games do not put 100% on load but it was stable under torture tests (prime95 w/ avx and cinebench 20)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
CPU is @4.3ghz-4.7ghz
This is the normal turbo boost operating range.
It's fluctuation will depend on how many cores are boosting.

2) not the main question but.... Why is it crashing during games, the games do not put 100% on load but it was stable under torture tests (prime95 w/ avx and cinebench 20)
That's a whole other beast, we'd have to gradually identify the potential causes through this. Does it crash without the overclock?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

addavar

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
That's a whole other beast, we'd have to gradually identify the potential causes through this. Does it crash without the overclock?
I'm playing those games where it crashed right now. I'll let you know.
It's fluctuation will depend on how many cores are boosting.
i see and i'm guessing if i turn off turbo mode it would stay @ base speed?!? i thought so, i'm was just wondering if it could be hardware damage from overclocking. I haven't pushed OC too much.