[SOLVED] CPU runs at very low clock speeds when playing games.

Adithya Vimalan

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
As the title implies i suddenly ran into this issue while playing games. I have an Asus GL553VE laptop with an i7-7770HQ and a gtx 1050Ti . First i thought the lag was due to games running on my intel hd 630 graphics instead of the nvidia one,but then i opened up task manager and noticed that my cpu dropped to .8-1.2 GHz while in game but it immediately went back to its normal behaviour boosting up to 3.5Ghz when required.

Tried seeing if it was some kind of power plan issue but it wasn't. Setting the CPU's minimum and maximum power usage to 100% didn't solve the issue. Malwarebytes didn't find anything either. Finally gave up and reset windows to factory default and that didn't solve the issue either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Would depend how the laptop comes apart. Depending how long there's the possibility of the thermal paste running dry. At the very least, you could try clearing out the air vents with compressed air.
First suspicion would be thermal throttling. It would mean trying to clear out dust from a laptop which may not be the easiest thing to do. At the very least have you used a hardware monitor software, eg. HWiNFO, to monitor CPU temperatures? Perhaps MSI Afterburner while in-game as well. It would give some idea or at least rule out certain possibilities.

Adithya Vimalan

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Yes, temperatures are a bit on the high side(always has been). Idles at around 55 degrees and goes upto 80, in game. Dont really know how I can bring it down.