[SOLVED] CPU runs hot

May 19, 2020
Hello there! I tried to change some CPU's. Both of them were kinda used for an year or so. But here comes the problems. I had a 7th generation i3 and changed it with a 7th generation i5.

The thermal paste was perfectly put. Even like this the temps are kinda hot.
40C in idle which is normal, but 80+ C in Overwatch, which is something i don't really like.

My question is: can this high temps be affected by the compatibility with the motherboard or the possibility of a bent pin? If not so, should i buy a professional CPU cooler?

I don't think the cooler is the problem tho. I mean... shouldn't the intel cooler be enough for its own CPU?
Also i can mention that I've tried to run the game with the full case opened, but I got the same results!

Thank you for helping!

Last edited:
Solution
Intel stock coolers are really poor, only really meant for switching the PC on and answering E-Mails. Get a better cooler and your issue is solved. If you had a bent pin your PC would not even boot most likely.

LOL sizzling beat me to it by 10sec....LOL
And what i5 specifically was being used, and, with what cooler, and , on what mainboard?

(for example, the cooler form your i3 would be completely inadequate on an i5-7600K, for instance, and, quite possibly the default cooler included with the i5-7400 might not set any records for efficiency under a even a moderate load...; but, currently, not quite enough info to form an opinion or plausible theory)

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
Yea. Sorry for the lack of info.

Here are the specs. So:

• the motherboard is a MSI H110M PRO-D .
  • I had the i3 - 7300 with its own cooler.
  • Than moved to i5 - 7600k with its own cooler. This CPU was barley used. Only for mailing or google and things like that.

May 19, 2020
OK.... I might be stupid. I actually don't have current access to the PC, due to the corona problem. So i don't really know which CPU I have (if its with k or not). I will check in the future but let's assume the next 2 scenarios:

1) The CPU is really a 7600k. When i got the CPU it had an intel cooler tbh. (It was not from packing, i just found it in the PC where the CPU was before). In this case, i think the best advice is to buy a professional cooler. Am i right?

2) But let's pretend this next scenario. What if the CPU is a 7600 (most probably). What is your advice regarding this problem? I mean ... for this scenario, shouldn't the Intel cooler be enough?

Thank you!

Intel stock coolers are really poor, only really meant for switching the PC on and answering E-Mails. Get a better cooler and your issue is solved. If you had a bent pin your PC would not even boot most likely.

Solution
May 19, 2020

I will try that. Although i want to say that with my old i3 and the classic intel cooler this did not happen. Also i have a laptop with an i7 and here the temps are not above 70C while gaming, even without any cooling pad.

Comparing an old i3, an i7 and and a i7 in a laptop is like saying well "I have an apple and an orange and a giraffe...are they not the same? "

Did you play overwatch with the i3 in the case and fans you have now? Gaming also depends also on what GPU you are running so being different setups you can never do a direct comparison unless all components are identical.

A new and better cooler which is WAY better than the intel stock cooler and will last for years costs around 30-40$ so it is a small price for not burning your hardware.

When you get one and it is installed (which is really easy) let us know where your temps are....

Cheers

May 19, 2020
Schlachtwolf

Btw ... coming with an update. I could get in the possession of my PC with the weakening of Covid -19 restrictions. It seems like the CPU is an I7 - 6700 actually. I don't think that this changes anything regarding the compatibility with the motherboard. Also, i strongly believe that the fact the CPU is an I7 not an I5 strengthens the argument that the Intel cooler is not enough, so I need to buy a more professional cooler.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Also I will soon buy a new cooler and come with new updates!

Thanks again and all the best! :)

May 19, 2020
Coming with an update. After all the waiting, I chose myself a cooler. What can I say .... the cooler was the problem. It solved it all. Now every game I play, goes to maximum 55 C (ThrottleStop activated, disabling Turbo of the CPU - which is not a must for me). That is really nice.

Thank you all for helping me! All the best in the future!