cpu runs much hotter after upgrading

Sir Hammerlock

Prominent
May 13, 2017
Hello!
I have a question about my new processor. Recently I have upgraded my system from an I3-6100 (3.7GHz) cpu to an I7-7700k (4.2 GHz) cpu.

Also, I upgraded my mobo from an MSI B150 PC Mate to an MSI Z270 gaming M3 motherboard.

Those are the only two changes I applied to my system. However when I play The Witcher 3, I hear my cpu fan getting really loud meaning my cpu is used a lot. Also, temperatures are rising a lot, I even feel the computer case getting quite warm.
In the old situation, I didn't have any of these problems.

I have read a lot about the heat problems the I7-7700k cpu has.
But it really surprises me how cpu-intensive The Witcher 3 suddenly runs after changing to a much better processor. I also noticed this when I played older games like Borderlands 2.

Is this behaviour to be expected? In that case I will invest in a better cooler and leave it at that. Or am I missing something obvious?

Sir Hammerlock

Prominent
May 13, 2017
I tried to reseat the cooler twice with no better results. I don't know what the temperature is, but I could check that when I get back to my computer.

If I had to guess by listening to the loudness of the fan, I'd say the cpu is about 70-75 degrees. I know that's fine for an I7-7700k.

The thing is, I don't understand why a better cpu with more cores (so it could spread the workload) is running hotter than an inferiour cpu, even with an older game.

Sir Hammerlock

Prominent
May 13, 2017
Ah my mistake!
So in conclusion: this big difference in heat generation / loudness was to be expected and there isn't really anything I can do about it except getting a better cpu fan.