CPU runs really hot????

Alan11985

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2016
Just a quick question. I have an i7 8700k in a custom loop running at stock voltages and core ratios. it idles at about 30-33 degrees but then when I test it in prime 95 non avx version it will instantly get temps of 82 degrees package temp when the water is still cold so it will get even hotter as the water warms up. All the cores are within a 1-2 degrees of each other. Is this a normal temp for a i7 8700k stock. I won't delid it just before anyone suggests it. Any other suggestions would be really helpful

Solution
That's not uncommon, and, if running stock clocks, you might be able to shave off .05V from core voltage to lower it a tad. Additionally, if your MB is by Asus or MSI, and if MCE/Enhanced Turbo (respectively) in the BIOS is enabled (all cores run at max turbo of 4.7 GHz if cooling permits), those temps would be very normal... (Disabling that feature would run only a single core at max turbo and likely shave off 3-5C off of temps, but cost you 1-3 fps, depending on the game. :)

That's not uncommon, and, if running stock clocks, you might be able to shave off .05V from core voltage to lower it a tad. Additionally, if your MB is by Asus or MSI, and if MCE/Enhanced Turbo (respectively) in the BIOS is enabled (all cores run at max turbo of 4.7 GHz if cooling permits), those temps would be very normal... (Disabling that feature would run only a single core at max turbo and likely shave off 3-5C off of temps, but cost you 1-3 fps, depending on the game. :)

Solution