[SOLVED] CPU says it’s hot in bios.

Jun 2, 2020
hey guys, i’m in need of some help lol.
I was having network issues so i took it to my my cousins house to get it resolved (which i did) & i was running 240+ fps in lobby and in game on low settings. i took the pc home and now the whole pc is sluggish. my fps in lobby is very inconsistent varying from 30-300.
it says my cpu temp is 99c°. but it never did this before.
PC specs: i7 4770
  • GTX 1660 TI
  • HperX 16GB 1600mhz ram
  • Biostar H81mhv3 mini-itx mobo
  • Corsair CX750M psu

Solution
Will second @Karadjgne regarding the thermal paste.

"What it says" on the cooler may or may be correct and certainly does not address how well the paste was actually applied.

Clean off the old paste and apply new paste.

Ralston18

Titan
What network issue did you have and what was done to resolve that network issue?

Perhaps moving the PC caused something to wiggle loose but not completely disconnect.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers. Ensure that no cables are pinched, kinked, twisted.

Nothing blocking or impeding the fans.

If no change then use either Resource Monitor or Task Manager (just one at a time) to observe system performance. Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%) they are being used, and what is using them.

Reactions: Vex122

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What cooler and paste is that cpu sitting under? If it's any tower and Arctic Silver 5, (the single most popular paste for donkeys years) that could easily have become an issue. 1 tiny pothole or bump in the road will cause enough bounce to break that seal on the dried out paste and cause those temps easily.

Reactions: Vex122
Jun 2, 2020
What network issue did you have and what was done to resolve that network issue?

Perhaps moving the PC caused something to wiggle loose but not completely disconnect.

Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers. Ensure that no cables are pinched, kinked, twisted.

If no change then use either Resource Monitor or Task Manager (just one at a time) to observe system performance. Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%) they are being used, and what is using them.

it was a setting in windows settings. & that may have been it, but i’ve checked to make sure everything was plugged in as it should.

Jun 2, 2020
What cooler and paste is that cpu sitting under? If it's any tower and Arctic Silver 5, (the single most popular paste for donkeys years) that could easily have become an issue. 1 tiny pothole or bump in the road will cause enough bounce to break that seal on the dried out paste and cause those temps easily.
i’m not sure, i didn’t build the PC. i bought it from a guy on a facebook

Jun 2, 2020
it’s ARTIC Alpine 12 is what it says on the cooler