Question CPU seemingly throttling with no high temperature indicated?

Nov 26, 2020
Hello, excuse me for this is the first time posting to these forums. I have used them many times as an outlet to find answers and solutions for problems, but this time around, I am at a complete loss.

A few days ago, My CPU started throttling down violently. "Maximum Frequency" Dropping sharply from 100%, down to 25%, the change occurring within a couple seconds. I may run my "Pcsx2" PS2 emulator for five minutes, running perfectly well, and then a huge drastic throttle (To my entire computer, shown on Windows Resource Monitor, and my computers almost unusable performance, not Pcsx2 Itself. Picture included.) occuring almost instantly during gameplay, and remaining that way until I exit and let the computer stay on standby for a couple minutes, and then it will function normally until it happens again. To me, sounds like a thermal throttling issue, but I have download a multitude of programs. Speccy, CPU-Z, Intel Processing Diagnostic Tool, OpenHardwareMonitor, "HWiNFO64" and none of these programs show a thermal issue with my computer, at least, not in the way I'd expect.

My computer is air cooled, and very much so, it has always run quite cool unless it's in the dead of summer. With that in mind, the temperature readings I Do receive back are too low and unsettling for what it seems like the CPU should be running at. "25C" At idle, background applications taking about 20% CPU utilization, and about "45C" Under full load, and I don't live in Alaska. 25C is hardly warmer than ambient temperature right now in this room. To my knowledge from thermal throttling, I would not expect a Drastic and aggressive curve from 100% Maximum Frequency, to 25%, in a one second window. All sources I have looked at point to thermal throttling, but I have no way to prove this due to thermal readings being unusually low and the drastic reaction of the throttling not being what I would expect from overheating.

This is not a laptop, but is a full desktop PC. Thank you to anyone who may be able to enlighten me on what may be happening, I have researched what seems like as much as I can, and found only problems that fit some of the evidence, but do not make sense in the grand picture. If you wish for me to send more pictures I can try my best, and hope to provide as much information as I can.

https://ibb.co/s39JdFH

- Windows 7 SP 1 64 bit
-Intel i5 6600k 3.5ghz Skylake
-MSI Z170A Gaming M7
-Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 960
-16GB DDr4 2166 Mhz Memory (Don't remember brand)
-256GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
-1TB WD Blue HDD
-512GB WD Blue HDD

MadeInput

Reputable
Dec 6, 2020
20% cpu usage Idle seems a bit too much ! I guess a program might be running in the background processing ! But anyways that's not the poit. Have you tried to turn on the High performance mode in the power management ?
Control Panel > Search for Performane > Battery and performance mode > Switch it to High Perf. Though you must know, in order to save power, CPUs change clocks frequencies just like gpu when not needed. Anyways, I hope this helps, this will at least make you feel better about clock frequency changing. Let me know, best of luck.

Dec 23, 2020
Hello, excuse me for this is the first time posting to these forums. I have used them many times as an outlet to find answers and solutions for problems, but this time around, I am at a complete loss.

A few days ago, My CPU started throttling down violently. "Maximum Frequency" Dropping sharply from 100%, down to 25%, the change occurring within a couple seconds. I may run my "Pcsx2" PS2 emulator for five minutes, running perfectly well, and then a huge drastic throttle (To my entire computer, shown on Windows Resource Monitor, and my computers almost unusable performance, not Pcsx2 Itself. Picture included.) occuring almost instantly during gameplay, and remaining that way until I exit and let the computer stay on standby for a couple minutes, and then it will function normally until it happens again. To me, sounds like a thermal throttling issue, but I have download a multitude of programs. Speccy, CPU-Z, Intel Processing Diagnostic Tool, OpenHardwareMonitor, "HWiNFO64" and none of these programs show a thermal issue with my computer, at least, not in the way I'd expect.

My computer is air cooled, and very much so, it has always run quite cool unless it's in the dead of summer. With that in mind, the temperature readings I Do receive back are too low and unsettling for what it seems like the CPU should be running at. "25C" At idle, background applications taking about 20% CPU utilization, and about "45C" Under full load, and I don't live in Alaska. 25C is hardly warmer than ambient temperature right now in this room. To my knowledge from thermal throttling, I would not expect a Drastic and aggressive curve from 100% Maximum Frequency, to 25%, in a one second window. All sources I have looked at point to thermal throttling, but I have no way to prove this due to thermal readings being unusually low and the drastic reaction of the throttling not being what I would expect from overheating.

This is not a laptop, but is a full desktop PC. Thank you to anyone who may be able to enlighten me on what may be happening, I have researched what seems like as much as I can, and found only problems that fit some of the evidence, but do not make sense in the grand picture. If you wish for me to send more pictures I can try my best, and hope to provide as much information as I can.

https://ibb.co/s39JdFH

- Windows 7 SP 1 64 bit
-Intel i5 6600k 3.5ghz Skylake
-MSI Z170A Gaming M7
-Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 960
-16GB DDr4 2166 Mhz Memory (Don't remember brand)
-256GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
-1TB WD Blue HDD
-512GB WD Blue HDD

Hi,
My i7 6900 & MSI Z170a Gaming M3 had the CPU running at 800Mhz temperature 37 C. It was being temperature throttled.
I found the setting in the BIOS in Advanced setting. It was really had to find, but once I turned off the Automatic Temperature Monitor my CPU worked as it should.
It was hard to find, but the option is there.
Good luck.