[SOLVED] Cpu seems to be slowing down after new gpu

Dec 17, 2018
So i have gotten a new gtx strix 1060 about a week ago and from just 4 days ago my cpu started to perform worse, alot of my programs are using alot more percentage then theyre supposed to. For example, when in discord call it can go up to 50% (normally max 5%) and with screen share up to 80%(normally max 20%) cpu usage wich really impacts my in game experience, alot of lag spikes. or my Corsair software is also using around 15%. And then alot more other programs for example: Spotify, Aurasync, Msi afterburner, Gpu tweak II even.

PC Setup:
CPU: i5 7400 (standard cooler)
GPU: Strix 1060 6gb
MB: Asus B250m-Plus
PSU: Some prebuild 400watt psu

Strange. Also no idea.

It sounds more coincidental rather than a cause, but did you perform a clean installation of GPU drivers? If not: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

Would also do the normal things like scanning for viruses and malware to be on the safe side.

Does MSI Afterburner indicate anything in particular when gaming?

One thing which would concern me is the PSU though. Official Nvidia spec suggests a minimum requirement of 400 W with a 6-pin connector: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/
But the Strix cards seem to suggest a higher power requirement via an 8-pin connector. As a safety precaution it is probably best to upgrade the PSU sooner rather than later.

Dec 17, 2018

I haven't done the clean drivers clean install but i do have 417.35 drivers, dont know if thats gonna help much.
Also MSI Afterburner does not say anything in particular when gaming.
And the PSU is also my first thought. I was planning on ordering a 650w PSU and the 1060 but then i decided to see how it works with 400w to save a little bit of my money.

Dec 17, 2018

Sounds serious, Any PSU's u reccomend?

Dec 17, 2018

My CPU Temperature is mostly around 37-38celsius when fully loaded with just programs so no games running. And i have around 1506 MHz, (I cant find GHz)

I'll let some of the others weigh in, but maybe something like this.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817139200

You can probably get away with less wattage, I like to overkill slightly on that myself.

The reason we don't recommend generic power supplies is sometimes when cheap ones go out, they can take out other components. I've personally had that happen. Back when IDE connections were still a thing, I had a cheap power supply burn out the IDE connectors on a board. One day things worked ok, another day they didn't.

Looking at an article though, it appears that a 1060 requires 350-400 watts. So your system is right on the border of that. If it goes out, sometimes cheaper power supplies have been known to take a cpu, motherboard, etc with them.

Also, GHz=1000MHz. So at 1500 MHz, your basically running 1.5 GHz. So sounds like the cpu is running half speed.

As ohiou_grad_2006 mentions, and why it was a concern in my first response, changing the CPU is for protecting the system. No point in having good hardware only for a possibly bad PSU damage them. I was lucky when an old PSU popped as the rest of the PC was undamaged; still wouldn't want the risk.

PSUs tend to be most efficient at half load, so I usually buy on this rule of thumb. Seasonic are a good consistent brand.

I was hoping MSI Afterburner may have indicated some particular component either maxing out, leading to a drop, or perhaps not performing to stock frequencies. But if you say there's no indication of such 'abnomalities', then it seems to limit the possibilities. Not sure to what though.

Dec 17, 2018

Hmm that one is pretty expensive in my country. I was thinking about getting the Be quiet! System Power 9 600W when ordering my GPU.

Dec 17, 2018

Well i dont use MSI Afterburner that much so i dont know what u think are abnomalities but as long as im using it it seems to be all the same as before

Dec 17, 2018

This one? SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze