Question CPU seriously bottle-necking system after reset/component upgrade!

HousePlantParty

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
Hey all!

Just posting because I'm having a really strange issue with my CPU usage ever since I reset my PC and upgraded some components. Below are my specs with the upgraded components shown in bold, with what they were replacing beside:

Specs:
  • Motherboard: Asrock B250M-HDV
  • CPU: i5-7600k
  • Graphics Card: Asus 1060 6GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB RGB (was previously 2x4GB of standard black Corsair Vengeance RAM)
  • PSU: Corsair CX450M
  • Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB (with Windows 10 OS on)
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda Mechanical Drive
  • 1TB Sabrent M.2 SSD
  • Fans: 3x LL120 Corsair RGB fans (was originally 3 standard case fans)
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB - the one with 2 fans (was originally a Cooler Master Hyper 212)
Before I upgraded these components I decided to reset my PC just to give it a fresh start and get rid of any unnecessary programmes that might have been bloating my storage drives. During this reset I kept the OS.

Problems:

The upgrades went well and all seemed good until I began to have some BSOD's happening while just watching YouTube videos or browsing online. The blue screens had the error message of SystemServiceException and in Event Viewer I was getting Kernel-Power errors (Event ID 41, Task Category 63).

At the same time as these blue screens have randomly been happening, I've been getting a LOT less FPS on Destiny 2, compared to before the reset and upgrades. Looking at MSI afterburner while playing shows my CPU is running at 100% nearly all the time while playing, which is severely bottle-necking my GPU and causing nasty stutters while playing.

From watching MSI and task manager, the CPU seems to have a much higher usage than what it previously did, even outside of games it seems to be struggling for no apparent reason.

CPU wise, all I did was take off the old fan, change the back-plate, clean off the thermal paste from the CPU and apply the Corsair cooler (it had pre-applied thermal paste) and plug it all in. The wires were a bit of a struggle to squeeze into the case after, so there could be a potential that a cable is getting squashed but I feel it's highly unlikely to be the issue here.
It's worth noting the CPU temperatures are perfectly fine while idling and even under load, so it makes me think my issue is purely software related and perhaps because I reset my system.

Things I've Tried:
  • I've checked for Windows updates in settings and installed them, which had no effect.
  • I've used Windows memory diagnostic tool to test my RAM, which came back fine.
  • My Nvidia drivers are all up to date.
  • I've been on the Intel website and checked for updates but supposedly I'm all up to date.

I know it's a long one but I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out! I've narrowed down what's causing the issue in Destiny, which I assume is also what's causing my blue screens, I just can't figure out what's making my CPU misbehave.

Hope someone can help, thanks!

HousePlantParty

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
what the cpu temp?
test with a different psu?

CPU temperatures have been perfectly fine while idling and also under load. I'm not able to change PSU right now and test that sadly, however I have been advised from other forum posts that my issue could be to do with XMP profiles being logged from my old system before reset, which don't match my new RAM, so I'm trying to investigate that.

TRENDING THREADS