CPU Short Circuit (possibly)

Jun 29, 2018
So this all started a week ago when I got a new motherboard. I had a micro atx motherboard that I decided to upgrade in order to do future upgrades to my pc (more ram slots, pci slots, etc.) I bought the new motherboard at best buy and started to move everything onto the new motherboard (I’ll refer to it as mb now). When starting the computer, it would turn on for a second and then shut off again. I started unplugging stuff and noticed that it did this while the cpu power was plugged in. So i return the mb to best buy and tell them that it had issues and they gave me another one. The next day, I try again. Same problem. Now this time I assumed that it was my power supply. Aftter that, i go to best buy and pick up a really nice new modular power supply. I hook it up. Still the same issue. I unplug everything and go barebones to see what the issue is. Turns out this whole time it was the CPU itself. I go out later to best buy one last time and get a new cpu. I hook everything up and it works fine. I run universe sandbox 2 and it runs beatifully.

I leave home for two days when some stuff i ordered comes in the mail, an SSD and a blue ray disc drive. I hook everything up and start my computer.

Its short circuiting again. In the CPU. Im so incredibly infuriated now, please help.

TLDR- CPU short circuited and got new one. New one worked but now it also short circuits.

System-
CPU: i7 8700k (old one was i5 6500)
PSU: EVGA 850 GQ
MoBo: MSI Z370
Case: DeepCool Tesseract

Thanks

Solution

I unselected the solution credit given for my post. We don't know yet if that's the problem and if the issue is tagged as "solved," you'll end up with fewer people checking the thread. But a lot of times, this is an issue with standoffs; if they're not installed properly, the motherboard can get shorted out by the case. It's another good reason to test a new build on a wooden surface or on the back of one of the cardboard boxes.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I unselected the solution credit given for my post. We don't know yet if that's the problem and if the issue is tagged as "solved," you'll end up with fewer people checking the thread. But a lot of times, this is an issue with standoffs; if they're not installed properly, the motherboard can get shorted out by the case. It's another good reason to test a new build on a wooden surface or on the back of one of the cardboard boxes.

Reactions: Liquidxeron
Solution
Jun 29, 2018
So the first time that I checked this (when I said I checked it barebones) I did have the motherboard outside of the case, so it was the cpu, but this time it is working fine so I think it actually is the standoffs. I’m going to try and deal with that right now so if I don’t reply after this, everything worked fine. Thank you!