[SOLVED] cpu slight crush

Aug 27, 2020
hi
so I was building my own pc today. and I was installing the cpu, I put the cpu in the slot with great care but forgot to pull and push the lever and started tightening my heatsink I did about 3 tightens of the heatsink before i realised there was a problem I took the cpu out the slots and there was no denting to the pins because they were in their slots I just wanted to ask would this have broken my cpu there was no exteroir damage as far as I know I cannot test it as my graphics card is coming tomorrow

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
So no damage on your AMD pin grid cpu correct? Orientation is proper and all?

There's only one path to deal with this and that's to go ahead pull the lever down make sure its tight. Make sure to check your manual and that you didnt miss anything. Install the cooler.

Basically finish up the build and launch it. Install drivers and do some benchmarking. Hopefully your numbers are the same with other people's numbers. Good luck.

Aug 27, 2020
yes I've finished the build now I'm just waiting on my graphics card I've installed everything and I powered it on my led fans worked my heatsink worked but I don't know if that's connected to cpu

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
my coolers worked tho?
The CPU does not transfer power to the cooler to start it. The power supply does or the cooler's 4pin you connected to the motherboard which is connected to the power supply.

You can plug everything in a motherboard without the CPU and they will all get electricity as long as the motherboard is connected to an active power supply.

Aug 27, 2020
The CPU does not transfer power to the cooler to start it. The power supply does or the cooler's 4pin you connected to the motherboard which is connected to the power supply.

You can plug everything in a motherboard without the CPU and they will all get electricity as long as the motherboard is connected to an active power supply.
yea so there's no way to tell if it works without a gpu