[SOLVED] CPU slows down when opening games

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
I have an i7 6700HQ. It's base Hz is 2,60GHz, but it's always at 3,2GHz because of the CPU boost. Today I wanted to play a game and it was chugging a lot. Used CPU core parking manager, and it was running at 2,30 (below what it should be even without the boost). Stoped playing the game and it shot up back to 3,2GHz. I've researched on this topic so I know the following:
-It's not overheating as it slows down instantly after opening any game.
-it's not dust on the fans, as the problem is not related to overheating.
-I've already unninstalled and reinstalled the battery drivers.
-My computer is on performance mode.

I've searched for some time, can't find the problem and I can't play anything like this.

Solution
Hmm, that's interesting. As soon as I started a game, the core 0's temp shot up to 85-95ºC. Maybe the thermal interface is broken. Is there anyway to turn off the safety. Or do I need to have it repaired?
You'd have to disassemble the laptop to examine the heatsink's mounting bracket and CPU plate for damage, remove the heatsink to replace the thermal paste and re-assemble everything. Keep in mind that laptop CPUs usually don't have an IHS to protect the die, so be careful about loosening and tightening heatsink screws evenly so you don't crush an edge or corner.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
What kind of laptop? First, CPUs have differing max clocks depending on how many cores are active. So while the max turbo may be 3.2 (or whatever the specs say) it will likely run lower if all cores are active. Second, manufacturers like Lenovo like to custom tune their systems to limit power to laptop CPUs for the sake of cooling & power draw, which ticks a lot of people off because it causes exactly what you're talking about, and many times there's nothing you can do about it. You may be able to tweak that with Intel XTU though.

This sounds like throttling and the default is to think thermal throttling, but it seems you have already checked that. Less known is power throttling (current limit throttling). The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility can monitor for both types of throttling, but I am not sure it will work with the HQ processors. I still think it is worth a try.

InvalidError

Titan
The CPU die has very low specific heat (it takes very little heat to make its temperature rise) due to it being so small and thin with very high power density. If anything happened to the laptop which may have broken the thermal interface between the CPU and heat pipes, the CPU could instantaneously overheat (few seconds at most) under load due to diminished heat transfer rate so clocks going down when the game or anything else that causes high CPU load starts does not rule out overheating as the cause. You have to check actual core temperatures to be certain.

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
What kind of laptop? First, CPUs have differing max clocks depending on how many cores are active. So while the max turbo may be 3.2 (or whatever the specs say) it will likely run lower if all cores are active. Second, manufacturers like Lenovo like to custom tune their systems to limit power to laptop CPUs for the sake of cooling & power draw, which ticks a lot of people off because it causes exactly what you're talking about, and many times there's nothing you can do about it. You may be able to tweak that with Intel XTU though.

I have an HP Omen 17-w103np. It says the CPU should be boosted up to 3,5GHz, but always runs at 3,2GHz. So I agree they run worse than cataloged. That said, it always used to run at 3,2GHz even when gaming. This laptop is not new, I've owned it for 2 years. These two years it's been running quite welll, but since this week its been running slower and slower.

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
The CPU die has very low specific heat (it takes very little heat to make its temperature rise) due to it being so small and thin with very high power density. If anything happened to the laptop which may have broken the thermal interface between the CPU and heat pipes, the CPU could instantaneously overheat (few seconds at most) under load due to diminished heat transfer rate so clocks going down when the game or anything else that causes high CPU load starts does not rule out overheating as the cause. You have to check actual core temperatures to be certain.

Hmm, that's interesting. As soon as I started a game, the core 0's temp shot up to 85-95ºC. Maybe the thermal interface is broken. Is there anyway to turn off the safety. Or do I need to have it repaired?

Edit: So just checked the temps after this and it can't be because of the temps. I say this because the CPU goes up to 90ºC which would turn it into "safe mode". But when I alt+tab the speed goes up to 3,2GHz while the cpu stays at 90ºC for a long time, while the speed stays at 3.2... So I'm starting to think it's a problem when starting programs

Last edited:

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Yes I understand that, and I understand that it runs at 3,2GHz normally. I've had the laptop for 2 years, so I now what it's normal conditions are. That said, itt's not suposed to run at 2,3-2,6 (being below even without it's boost). It's supposed to run at 3-3,2GHz, which it isn't doing

InvalidError

Titan
You'd have to disassemble the laptop to examine the heatsink's mounting bracket and CPU plate for damage, remove the heatsink to replace the thermal paste and re-assemble everything. Keep in mind that laptop CPUs usually don't have an IHS to protect the die, so be careful about loosening and tightening heatsink screws evenly so you don't crush an edge or corner.

Solution