[SOLVED] Cpu smoked but works now. Am I okay?

Aug 15, 2020
So I fried my mobo and cpu recently so I went and bought replacements. I got an i5-9600k and z390 aorus pro w/wifi. My psu was responsible for the first fry, but I didnt realize it. So when I hooked it up to my new stuff the cpu crackled and began to smoke. I immediately shut it off. I tried a different psu and it worked great(tested mine and it started smoking by itself). So my computer works fine now, but will it last? Or did I severely shorten its lifespan? I bought the warrenty on it and the guy said if I happen to fry it within 2 weeks I could still bring it back to replace it. Should I exchange it or just let it be? Thanks for your help!

Solution
I don't think using a 9600k, or any CPU, that was smoking is a good idea. I think you should exchange it. Is there any catch to the warranty though? If not, if you can get a brand new 9600k that is perfectly fine, why not do it?

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
I don't think using a 9600k, or any CPU, that was smoking is a good idea. I think you should exchange it. Is there any catch to the warranty though? If not, if you can get a brand new 9600k that is perfectly fine, why not do it?

Reactions: Putbreze
Solution
Aug 15, 2020
I ended up replacing them! Tbh it was just a long drive to the store, and to remove and rebuild, but its worth it in the long run!