Question CPU Socket 1155

Katana.lx

Reputable
Apr 3, 2019
Hello!!! I have a Asustek P8P67 Pro 3.1 witch is compatible with all Socket 1155 CPU's.
I have a i5 2500K paired with a AMD RX 580 and I don't have money to buy a new system.
In the CPU Hierarchy 2019 my i5-2500K is on the same tier of i5-3350p, i7- 2600 and i7 - 2600K.
My question is this: there is no advantage to upgrade to one of this CPU's right?
Only if I update to a i5-3550, i5-3570, i5-3570K, i7-3770 or a i7-3770K right?
I know i7-3770K is the best I can use in my mobo but it's still very expensive new.
From my 2500k which CPU would you buy? Is a i5-3550 better then mine?

Thank you all for your help!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Imo, the i5-3550 isn't enough of an upgrade to make you happy. If your BIOS is updated to the latest for the board, I would go for the fastest i7-37xx you can afford. I have a i7-3770 and GTX 1070 (mini) in my Dell Optiplex 9010. The aging i7-3770 is still able to keep up with the 1070 in most situations. So the RX 580 should be great with the i7-3770/3770K.

As I recall, the P67 chipset allows for OC'ing if that is something you'd want to do with the expensive i7-3770K. You might find that CPU cheaper used if you want to go that route.

Reactions: Katana.lx

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Your i5 2500k is already faster than an i5 3550 so you should not buy that one. The i5 3570k would be a small upgrade but I personally think that anything under an i7 is not worth the money.

Sidenote, have you overclocked your cpu yet? If not, you will be able to get performance gain of aprox. 30 percent by doing so.

InvalidError

Titan
I wouldn't bother with anything less than an i7-3770 and even then, it'll still be a relatively small upgrade, up to about 40% faster (less if you OC the 2500k past the i7's stock clocks) and only on workloads that can make use of the extra hardware threads.

I'd just wait for AMD's Ryzen 3000 reveal at Computex next month before deciding what to upgrade to - you've been on the same PC for about eight years, what is two more months next to that?

I'm in a similar boat with my i5-3470: would like to upgrade CPU+MoBo+RAM but nothing currently available feels worth blowing another $500-600 on yet since my i5 still isn't struggling much with anything I throw at it. (And with 32GB of RAM, there is plenty of space left for me to go do other things while CPU-hogs are running in the background without sacrificing much responsiveness in whatever is in the foreground.)

Katana.lx

Reputable
Apr 3, 2019
Thank you all for your very helpful answers but I still have a doubt: most of the new games are saying that my CPU is on the minimum side of things.
Having a RX 580 paired with my i5-2500K (just turbo no overclocking) can I achieve 100+ fps with mixed ultra/high settings in current games? Is it worth it to buy a 144hz monitor? or a 75hz will do?
PS: Overclocking in Portugal is risky without a very good cooling system. Summers can get 50 Cº...

InvalidError

Titan
Having a RX 580 paired with my i5-2500K (just turbo no overclocking) can I achieve 100+ fps with mixed ultra/high settings in current games?
Depends heavily on the game. You can do 4k Ultra at 100+fps in games like Portal on a potato, 64-players BF1 on the other hand would be a completely different story.

If temperature gets to 50C in your area and you have no air conditioning, then I'd recommend taking a nap to reduce the risk of heatstroke or going wherever you can find AC instead of gaming. You probably want to leave your PC turned off at these sorts of temperatures since most PSUs don't fare too well at intake temperatures in excess of 45C.

Katana.lx

Reputable
Apr 3, 2019
Ok let's say B1? Can I achieve on high settings 75+ frames with a i7-3770?

House temperatures are more around 30 Cº. In Portugal we are used to it... Most houses don't have AC. And we do nap but not as much as the spanish. Also 50 is only in two very polluted spots in Lisbon and in the area of the interior Alentejo (south-east of Portugal). Not good for overclocking with a water solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, I just realized you said it gets to 50C where you are. That equals 122F. That's probably the average temp of Death Valley in the Mojave Dessert. And no A/C? Yikes.

BF1 would probably be doable for 100fps, depending on the number of players the CPU has to keep track of. Personally, I would only get the 144Hz monitor if you planned on upgrading the platform in the future. The 75Hz monitor would be more practical and maybe less expensive otherwise.

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Ok let's say B1? Can I achieve on high settings 75+ frames with a i7-3770?

House temperatures are more around 30 Cº. In Portugal we are used to it... Most houses don't have AC. And we do nap but not as much as the spanish. Also 50 is only in two very polluted spots in Lisbon and in the area of the interior Alentejo (south-east of Portugal). Not good for overclocking with a water solution
Your i5 2500k is a great overclocker and even with a modest voltage increase (e.g. to 1.3v) you should be able to increase your current all-core turbo frequency from 3.4GHz to 4.4/4.5GHz. This overclock should be manageable with a decent cooler (even in Little Spain) and i highly recommend this.

That being said, this cpu will still bottleneck your system past 75ish fps in cpu demanding titles, and that is including the overclock. Personally I'm using a 6600k in a 4k setup, and even though I can reach 60fps in all titles so far, I often cannot exceed 85 ish fps regardless of the resolution/graphical settings. You will experience the same problem with any cpu supported by your motherboard.

Therefore, if you want to aim for 1080p/1440p 60fps, I suggest you simply overclock you cpu and stick with that (or upgrade to an i7 2600k/2700k/3770k if you can get an insane deal). If you want to aim for a 144hz setup (and intent to play anything demanding), I suggest you upgrade to a significantly faster cpu with higher core/thread count such as the ryzen 5 2600.

Katana.lx

Reputable
Apr 3, 2019
I'm very afraid of buying second hand but I found one i7-3770 for 80 pounds (+-100 euros)...
One thing I forgot to mention: if I upgrade my main computer with a new CPU I also upgrade my HTPC (also socket 1155) because it as a core duo.
The best solutions seems to buy a good cooler and overclock my cpu or to buy in second hand...

On amazon I have a 3770 second hand for € 174 and new for € 300. The i7-3770K new is €449...

Katana.lx

Reputable
Apr 3, 2019
Dear Tom's Hardware members,

I made a Ghost Recon Wildlands benchmark with ultra settings 1080p (txaa, hbao+, etc - the default ultra) using both the in game results and the MSI Afterburner results and came to the conclusion that my CPU is NOT the bottleneck. All four cores stayed bellow 92% while the GPU was always 99% - 100%. I also run a Shadow of War benchmark and the CPU fare even better with an top 80% usage for 99/100% GPU usage.
With the information you all gave me and this benchmark I came to the conclusion that my money is better spend in other things (16 Gb, a 100+Hz monitor or in my motorcycle) and with a conservative overclocking (maybe 3.7 Ghz without turbo or 3.8) still manage my GPU.
Thank you all for your time and consideration

PS clutchc your idea of a refurbish was very good but now I think I will spend the money in other things.

PSS I manage 48 fps average on Wildlands and 57 on Shadow of War. Not bad considering that I dont like HBAO+, motion blur and some other minor settings. I also cant tell the difference between FXAA and TXAA, if all, TXAA looks more blurry, so I have room for improvement. On multiplayer games I always look for competitive advantage so I remove or reduce things like shadows, foliage, etc. so InvalidError I get pretty decent frame rates in BF1 and SWBF2. I still don't have BF5

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the feedback Katana.lx. Good to hear that you did some benchtesting and experimenting. That is sometimes the best way to decide if what you read relates to how you personally use your equipment.
I personally have a way more powerful machine than I need. Sometimes I'll grab one of my old machines and play. I can't really tell the difference most of the time.