[SOLVED] CPU socket LGA question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Hi so i guess its time to upgrade my cpu. my question is my maximus hero vii have lga 1150 cpu socket and the cpu im looking at is lga 2066. is there adapter to change the lga or I need to buy a new motherboard or get an cpu that is lga 1150?

Solution
i brought mines at amazon but its a third party seller. heres the link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWAX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here is their web site: https://maestrotechnology.net/

The seller seems like a legit company, but small and I would strongly suspect it's an imported fake as their inventory seems to be either legit products at 2x market price or fakes priced to move.

The President of the company is Murray Burwick who specifically states on his linkedin page "I have the demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships with vendors, manufacturers and suppliers in South America and Asia." This part of the world is fake central. Legit products for US distribution...

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Major retailers with a brick and morter store won't have an issue with fakes, but online 'marketplace' sites more definitely will. And it's the apathy towards fakes that makes them profitable.

I don't think the product guarantee will matter if you find out years later it's fake after something has been hacked/compromised or has been performing sub-par. In those events, you're more worried about other things than a refund.
The product has a warranty, aka if it dies it gets replaced. The provider/seller/retailer guarantees the product you buy fulfills what was advertised and detailed in the offer, which means if there was no indication the product was a fake/copy/reassembly, then you can claim you were scammed, and you should either receive what you actually paid for or your money back, similar to when you receive a different product (an i3 instead of i7, for example).
And yet fakes still abound on both platforms showing you just how much they really care that fakes are being peddled on their platforms...
Yes, they appear now and then. Some online retailers are more careful than others, but the "best" retailers really push for policing these shady businesses.
Link didn't work for me. :(
That's odd. It worked for me. Maybe try again? Apparently TH was having issues with the servers and many people couldn't connect to the site.

The product has a warranty, aka if it dies it gets replaced. The provider/seller/retailer guarantees the product you buy fulfills what was advertised and detailed in the offer, which means if there was no indication the product was a fake/copy/reassembly, then you can claim you were scammed, and you should either receive what you actually paid for or your money back, similar to when you receive a different product (an i3 instead of i7, for example).

Yes, they appear now and then. Some online retailers are more careful than others, but the "best" retailers really push for policing these shady businesses.

That's odd. It worked for me. Maybe try again? Apparently TH was having issues with the servers and many people couldn't connect to the site.
ime, after about 30 days, the marketplace sites don't provide any more service and you're on your own. Which if it is fake, means you lose out. And this doesn't even take into account the FACT that a fake is produced using stolen IP from a US company. It's a product of IP theft, and personally I want nothing to do with theft.

Not now and then--a large percentage of goods sold on these platforms is fake or not genuine. There is an entire industry behind building companies that import this fake stuff, have solid sales in a 'marketplace' as a store and sell that store off to someone for millions and then do it again. The only retailers that seem pretty averse to carrying fakes are retailers with a physical store that unhappy customers can come into and get mad at them face to face. In the online world, they can hide and dodge infinitely so there's no repercussions. Because in real-life someone mad enough will physically assault someone or cause a public scene.

I'll try it again. I'd be curious if there's any real way on the 'good fakes'. The normal crap you see from overseas fakes luckily is usually glaringly obvious.

Just read the article and it's got some of the glaringly obvious points, but I think the best thing in that article was a link to Intel's diagnostic program which is how I found out a pair of x5460 xeons in one of my servers was fake--after 3 years of running them. :mad:

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Just read the article and it's got some of the glaringly obvious points, but I think the best thing in that article was a link to Intel's diagnostic program which is how I found out a pair of x5460 xeons in one of my servers was fake--after 3 years of running them. :mad:
Sorry to hear that. But if after 30 days we, as buyers, haven't checked the integrity of a used/second hand part purchased cheaply from a possibly shady vendor, there's something wrong with us.

Sorry to hear that. But if after 30 days we, as buyers, haven't checked the integrity of a used/second hand part purchased cheaply from a possibly shady vendor, there's something wrong with us.
These came from a reputable recycler and were a set of used cpus from a server that was upgraded. Since servers are more picky than regular desktops if something is obviously wrong it won't even boot. I had never even heard of the intel software until a few years after purchasing and was actually running it just to see how the software works--I didn't expect it to find my cpus were fakes. And this is the point--no one has time to tediously check for fakes and the good fakers know this and scam thousands of people a day, and hence why they want to do more of it. The best protection for a consumer is to do face-to-face transactions where there is a 'cost' to the seller that the buyer can enact for peddling a fake aka yelling in a retail store full of people to the point the cops come. Online no one can hear you scream...