[SOLVED] Cpu socket Running hot (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2022
Hi there! i recently wen't to checkup on compability between my motherboard and a new chip, i might be getting because of my really outdated cpu.

The cpu temps were completely fine, but i saw my Socket temps were sidding steady at 96-100 degrees. The computer is 5 years+, and last time i took off my cpu cooler, i saw that the thermal paste was dried out? Could that be what's causing it to run so hot?

I used speccy to do the checkup. And how reliable is speccy in terms of monitoring temperatures?

CPU: i5-6600 skylake 14mm technology

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi there! i recently wen't to checkup on compability between my motherboard and a new chip, i might be getting because of my really outdated cpu.

The cpu temps were completely fine, but i saw my Socket temps were sidding steady at 96-100 degrees. The computer is 5 years+, and last time i took off my cpu cooler, i saw that the thermal paste was dried out? Could that be what's causing it to run so hot?

I used speccy to do the checkup. And how reliable is speccy in terms of monitoring temperatures?

You removed the cooler and did not clean off old paste and apply new? Yes, that's probably why it's running hot.

You removed the cooler and did not clean off old paste and apply new? Yes, that's probably why it's running hot.

Reactions: Ralston18
Solution
Feb 23, 2022

Oh man... you did not clean the old thermal paste when you removed the cooler Now, buy thermal paste (i recommend Arctic MX4 for a budget), isopropyl alcohol 91%-99% I personally use Q-tips to clean the cooler and cpu. But you can use toilet paper wet in Isopropyl (I don't think i recommend this) So yeah if the TP dried and you removed cooler its gonna go bad

Status
Not open for further replies.