Question CPU Socket Temperature

Jan 27, 2021
I have been running this new PC for a few weeks with no issues. For some reason today when I rebooted the machine, I noticed that the MSI Dragon Center monitor was reading a CPU Socket temperature of 186C, which I can't imagine being a legit reading. I immediately rebooted and went into BIOS to see if there was an issue with something, but when in BIOS I see a socket temperture of 0C, and all fans look just fine. I'm running the RAM XMP profile 1 to boost the ram a bit, but everything with the CPU is default. The fan speeds are also all reading 0 RPM (within Dragon Center), but they are all running (1 CPU fan, 6 case fans). The temperature within the case feels fine, and everything around the CPU (cooler brackets, cooler fins, etc...) all feel just fine as well. I opened up HWINFO64 and the CPU socket and the motherboard temperatures are showing as -69.5C and -83C (yes, negative), respectively. In both Dragon Center and HWINFO the CPU Core temperature is reading 33-36C going up and down.

Another thing that I noticed is that the CPU voltage seems to be pegged at 1.25V. I typically run the system in the Dragon Center silent mode when not doing much on it, and if I remember correctly that voltage used to sit somewhere between 0.9 and 1.0V when in silent mode before. It would typically vary slightly while running, but right now it's pegged at 1.25V.

Any idea how to get around this? Everything is running, and everything feels sufficiently cool, but I'd rather not stare at this startling socket temperature and fan monitors that read 0.

Thanks!

I originally posted this in the CPU section, but the more I think about it I do believe it is more appropriate here in the motherboard section.

I'm using an MSI B550 MAG Mortar Wifi motherboard and a Ryzen 5 5600x CPU.

I have been running this new PC for a few weeks with no issues. For some reason today when I rebooted the machine, I noticed that the MSI Dragon Center monitor was reading a CPU Socket temperature of 186C, which I can't imagine being a legit reading. I immediately rebooted and went into BIOS to see if there was an issue with something, but when in BIOS I see a socket temperture of 0C, and all fans look just fine. I'm running the RAM XMP profile 1 to boost the ram a bit, but everything with the CPU is default. The fan speeds are also all reading 0 RPM (within Dragon Center), but they are all running (1 CPU fan, 6 case fans). The temperature within the case feels fine, and everything around the CPU (cooler brackets, cooler fins, etc...) all feel just fine as well. I opened up HWINFO64 and the CPU socket and the motherboard temperatures are showing as -69.5C and -83C (yes, negative), respectively. In both Dragon Center and HWINFO the CPU Core temperature is reading 33-36C going up and down.

Another thing that I noticed is that the CPU voltage seems to be pegged at 1.25V. I typically run the system in the Dragon Center silent mode when not doing much on it, and if I remember correctly that voltage used to sit somewhere between 0.9 and 1.0V when in silent mode before. It would typically vary slightly while running, but right now it's pegged at 1.25V.

Any idea how to get around this? Everything is running, and everything feels sufficiently cool, but I'd rather not stare at this startling socket temperature and fan monitors that read 0.

Thanks!

UPDATE
Some threads that I have read suggest resetting the CMOS, but that is not an option for me right now. Everything on the computer is brand new with the exception of the GPU due to how hard it is to get one right now. I had a heck of a time trying to get the PC to post whenever I built it. After a week of pouring through forums and trying this or that, purchasing a super cheap GPU (GT 1030) allowed me to get into BIOS and change it from UEFI to CSM. That did the trick and allowed my older GPU to work. I returned that cheap GPU, so if I do a full BIOS/CMOS reset, I'm afraid that I'll be locked out of getting back in until I could use a different GPU to set it to CSM once again.

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS