Question CPU SOCKET

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hello this is my first time here. I was thinking to upgrade my old laptop cpu it has pga 989 socket. Can someone tell me the difference between rPGA , PGA and FCPGA socket i know all are pin grid array sockets but still whats the difference. And also can a second gen intel cpu which requires g2 socket work on g1 socket.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
PGA is regular, everyday pin-grid. FCPGA stands for Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array, meaning the die itself is upside down to allow for better contact with the cooling implement. rPGA stands for Reduced Pin Grid Array, which just means the pins are closer together (by .27mm compared to standard)

EDIT: And no, G2 cpus will not fit in G1 sockets at all, and vice versa, because one pin is placed differently.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
PGA is regular, everyday pin-grid. FCPGA stands for Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array, meaning the die itself is upside down to allow for better contact with the cooling implement. rPGA stands for Reduced Pin Grid Array, which just means the pins are closer together (by .27mm compared to standard)

EDIT: And no, G2 cpus will not fit in G1 sockets at all, and vice versa, because one pin is placed differently.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
hi can someone answer these questions for me
First is there a difference between pga 989 and 988 socket . what i mean for example take i5-430m processor now what intel says it use a socket pga 988. then what is this pga 989 is there anything like pga 989.

My second question is can i use a cpu which supports G1 socket but has 55w tdp like i wanted to upgrade my laptop all the way upto i7-940xm. original i5-430m has 35 watt tdp and also for a laptop motherboard how to know wether it can support it cause i dont find anything related to motherboard cpu support for a laptop.

My last question- intel says that i5-430m says it has inbuilt graphics some hd graphics i guess if it is like that then why i dont find any intel graphics control panel or anything related to intel graphics also by the way this laptop also has a discrete amd graphics( ati mobility radeon hd 5470 512mb ddr3 memory).