Question CPU sometimes overheating with pump

Jan 8, 2022
I have a 9700kf and an aio from be quiet, sometimes after having the pc turned off for several hours like at night, i cant even get 2minutes and i get 105C and the pump block is hot when i touch it. It doesnt happen all the time though like some days its fine and others its not. What could be causing this?
I can hear the pump running, ive tried switching positions of the aio in the case, the lower tube is hot and the one above it isnt (if thats important)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a 9700kf and an aio from be quiet, sometimes after having the pc turned off for several hours like at night, i cant even get 2minutes and i get 105C and the pump block is hot when i touch it. It doesnt happen all the time though like some days its fine and others its not. What could be causing this?
I can hear the pump running, ive tried switching positions of the aio in the case, the lower tube is hot and the one above it isnt (if thats important)
I would return the cooler for warranty.
You don't hear the pump running you hear the motor. The pump itself could be failing even though the motor runs fine.

EDIT The impeller must turn to move water. motor and impeller. This is not yours but their basically all made the same.

It could be also not enough coolant left causing air to get trapped so no flow.
https://gizmocean.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Phanteks-glacier-aio-6.jpg

Last edited:
I tried every position, front with both sides switching up or down and top (i used to have it top and i guess ill keep it there cuz no difference)
So it looks like the pump is usually working but sometimes not. Either a pump failure then or a motherboard header that it is connected to has issue. Checking another header might be an option if you motherboard allows that.

Jan 8, 2022
So it looks like the pump is usually working but sometimes not. Either a pump failure then or a motherboard header that it is connected to has issue. Checking another header might be an option if you motherboard allows that.
Did that as well with a system fan header and both pump headers but no change...tried applying new thermal paste and didnt work, but as i said theres some days that it works perfectly fine so i dont know how thats a possible, its not failing i dont think and when its fine i can put as much load and never reach above 85C

Did that as well with a system fan header and both pump headers but no change...tried applying new thermal paste and didnt work, but as i said theres some days that it works perfectly fine so i dont know how thats a possible, its not failing i dont think and when its fine i can put as much load and never reach above 85C
I got it. But the situation when CPU hits 100c in 2 minutes is only possible in two cases: either the block is not mounted properly (which is impossible as it works most of the time); or the pump is not working - and it is absolutely possible that pump sometimes works fine and sometimes not.
Well, there is third case actually: motherboard delivering too high voltage to CPU could do that. But that is even more unlikely then pump working when it wants.

Jan 8, 2022
I got it. But the situation when CPU hits 100c in 2 minutes is only possible in two cases: either the block is not mounted properly (which is impossible as it works most of the time); or the pump is not working - and it is absolutely possible that pump sometimes works fine and sometimes not.
Well, there is third case actually: motherboard delivering too high voltage to CPU could do that. But that is even more unlikely then pump working when it wants.
Yeah its too confusing for me...also i hear the water running when it overheats as well and the radiator is clean theres no dust or anything, the block is mounted properly ofc and i have even tried with the voltages on defaults like every bios setting on default and still no difference, now im only using chrome to reply and the cpu is stable on 95C but if i try to launch anything else it will hit 105 and then go down to like 97-100...
I honestly dont know how this is possible ive never had issues with other pcs with similar configs