Question CPU sparked after putting in a new psu

puretactics

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
I just installed a brand new EVGA G3 1000w psu and as soon as I turned it on my CPU poped, started smoking and sparked. Checked all cable connecttions and they seem to be fine. How can i diagnose this and see whats good and whats broke and what the problem is.
Specs: evga g3 1000w
I7 8700k (not anymore i guess)
32 gigs 3200 ram
X52 kraken cooler
1070Ti
Aorus ultra gaming mobo

Got the 1000w psu in prep for my 2080 super that i planed on getting but i guess i gotta buy replacemt parts now instead

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I just installed a brand new EVGA G3 1000w psu and as soon as I turned it on my CPU poped, started smoking and sparked. Checked all cable connecttions and they seem to be fine. How can i diagnose this and see whats good and whats broke and what the problem is.
Wow, 1000W is a lot for even the 2080!

Unfortunately, the only way to really test what is damaged outside of a visual inspection is to put it together and run it. That's the only thing that tells you if something really is working or not. You'll want to check all connections, cables, CPU etc for burns or damage.

Outside of that, you can use a multimeter and power up the PSU seperately and check the voltages on each rail, each should reflect the rail output +/- 5% max.

Where exactly did you see the smoke/spark?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

puretactics

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Wow, 1000W is a lot for even the 2080!

Unfortunately, the only way to really test what is damaged outside of a visual inspection is to put it together and run it. That's the only thing that tells you if something really is working or not. You'll want to check all connections, cables, CPU etc for burns or damage.

Outside of that, you can use a multimeter and power up the PSU seperately and check the voltages on each rail, each should reflect the rail output +/- 5% max.

Where exactly did you see the smoke/spark?
The smoke and sparks came from the cpu (coming from under the aio obviously). I took it to a local cpu repair place and they are doing a free diagnostic on it to see whawhat wrong. And i only got the 1000 watt because it was only $10 more than the 850 watt on prime day. I got it for $160. So i guess ill see whats wrong with it and go from there. I called evga and if the failure is due to the psu they said they might replace the broken items. Any suggestions on how to go about all this? Thanks for the quick reply.

puretactics

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Are you sure you plugged the proper 8 pin EPS connector into the motherboard CPU power header, not an 8 pin PCIe connector?

How did you see the CPU itself spark? There should be no part of the CPU or really even the socket exposed in an assembled PC.
Yes i tripple checked all cords were plugged in correctly and that the cables were switched for the new ones. I went from corsair 550 watt semi modular to fully modular evga g3 1000 watt.

And i saw the smoke and sparks come out from under the aio cpu block

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes i tripple checked all cords were plugged in correctly and that the cables were switched for the new ones. I went from corsair 550 watt semi modular to fully modular evga g3 1000 watt.
Want to confirm what you mean here. So you're saying that you made sure that you removed all the cables that came from your corsair PSU, and that you're currently using only the original cables that came with the G3?

puretactics

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Want to confirm what you mean here. So you're saying that you made sure that you removed all the cables that came from your corsair PSU, and that you're currently using only the original cables that came with the G3?
Yes. I first disconnected all cords from the old psu. After i took all the old psu stuff out, i then put in the g3 with all its cords. None of the old cords are still in it. I have no idea what could have happened. I checked the cords were plugged in well and all the correct cords were in the right place. When turned the system on everything seemed to be fine except for the cpu. All Fans spun, lights turned on, the only difference isthe cpu going crazy.

puretactics

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Two Q not answered: Modular PSU cables not standard and interchangeable then? and EPS/PCIe 8 pins modular not keyed differently and fool-proof (scary)?
I doubt they wouldnt be keyed differently. Either way the cords look very different and theyre labeled so i know i didnt switch them on accident. I really just dont know what could have happened.

Edit: I just checked online and they are all keyed differently so that couldnt have been the problem. Coul i have plugged it in wrong on the motherboard? It was 2 4 pins and it clipped in so i dont think it could have been that

Last edited: