[SOLVED] cpu specs and ryzen master

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
My question is this. I downloaded ryzen master and I try to monitor the specs of my cpu. I am trying to figure out why ryzen master has the peak speed all over the place, fluctuating constantly, and how to set it to a constant speed. See, in BIOS, it has my cpu operating at a constant 3.7Ghz, and in ryzen master, it could be anywhere from 2.2 to 4.3 Ghz. What is up with that? Also, what is core performance boost? I have included a photoshot of the specs and such in ryzen master.

I recently build a new rig, specs are as follows:
Ryzen 2700x 3.7Ghz cpu
H100i Corsair cooler
32 gb 3200Ghz corsair vengeance ram
512GB ssd
800w thermaltake psu
MSI B450 tomahawk motherboard

Solution
for overclocking or under clocking ryzen master is for testing, finding the right settings.
on my system I used ryzen master to determine the maximum frequency the CPU could do, by increasing the multiplier and the voltage a bit and testing, if stable turn the dials a bit more and test, until I found the happy place of 4.0 on all threads.

ryzen master is not for underclocking much. underclocking is what it sounds like you want to do. you could set the CPU to run at almost any set speed below its stock if you wish in the BIOS. the CPU speed is the multiplier by the main bus speed.
for me my mltiplier is 40 and the bus speed is 100Mhz, for 4000Mhz. I could just as easily set the bus speed to 75Mhz and the multiplier to 25 and my system...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
whats up with that?
core performance boost.
what is CPB?
it slows down unused cores and speeds up the active cores, when you need 2 core to go at beyond full speed, it slows other cores (lowers heat output) and takes the needed core to the limits (increases heat output), briefly. hence all the changing numbers. this balancing act is why the core goes above the rated stock freq, but only if the circumstances are right.

the system is trying to give the best performance at every given time and rarely will ALL cores be need to run at full speed for more than a short spurt. core performance boost enables a brief over spec run of the needed core when the circumstances will allow.

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
whats up with that?
core performance boost.
what is CPB?
it slows down unused cores and speeds up the active cores, when you need 2 core to go at beyond full speed, it slows other cores (lowers heat output) and takes the needed core to the limits (increases heat output), briefly. hence all the changing numbers. this balancing act is why the core goes above the rated stock freq, but only if the circumstances are right.

the system is trying to give the best performance at every given time and rarely will ALL cores be need to run at full speed for more than a short spurt. core performance boost enables a brief over spec run of the needed core when the circumstances will allow.

so how would I set the minimum and maximum cpu power, and should I leave core performance boost on or off?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for overclocking or under clocking ryzen master is for testing, finding the right settings.
on my system I used ryzen master to determine the maximum frequency the CPU could do, by increasing the multiplier and the voltage a bit and testing, if stable turn the dials a bit more and test, until I found the happy place of 4.0 on all threads.

ryzen master is not for underclocking much. underclocking is what it sounds like you want to do. you could set the CPU to run at almost any set speed below its stock if you wish in the BIOS. the CPU speed is the multiplier by the main bus speed.
for me my mltiplier is 40 and the bus speed is 100Mhz, for 4000Mhz. I could just as easily set the bus speed to 75Mhz and the multiplier to 25 and my system would be running a good deal slower all the time.

all these settings should be in the BIOS

Solution

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015

for me my mltiplier is 40 and the bus speed is 100Mhz, for 4000Mhz. I could just as easily set the bus speed to 75Mhz and the multiplier to 25 and my system would be running a good deal slower all the time.

all these settings should be in the BIOS
To be honest, even though I am pretty knowledgeable about hardware, software, etc, I know next to nothing about voltages, frequencies, etc. Manipulating those levels of a cpu or ram terrifies me. I am afraid of frying my cpu because I really don't know what I am doing with it.