• Now's your chance to speak with MSI directly! Join our AMA and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Ask your questions here.

Catch the next Tom's Hardware livestream on May 28 at 2PM Eastern: Catch the show here!

Need Hardware Help? Include the Info Requested Here.
  • Join our Best PC Builds competition and get on the Tom's Hardware home page. Check it out here.

Question CPU speed below stock speeds when gaming (no thermal throttling)

Feb 16, 2020
Hey y’all

I’ve had a gaming laptop (Dell G3 3590) for about six months now, and this last month i started getting performance drops when playing GTA 5. I ran many hardware tests and diagnostics which passed, and stress tests from Intel and Dell and all passed well. Because of this, I did a fresh install of windows trying to fix my issue and it did not work. Furthermore, I used Intel XTU to lower voltage by -.120.

my problem is when I’m playing GTA 5, I’m getting around 60% GPU utilization and 30 % CPU utilization, and my speeds stay around 2.2GHZ while staying at 67 degrees Celsius, which means it’s not thermal throttling at all. A month before, GTA 5 ran at 3.8 GHZ at 85 degrees Celsius with no issues and I concistently got around 120 frames, and now I’m getting around 70 with frame drops below 60 FPS. Are there any ways to force GTA 5 to use the CPU more and make the clock speed faster?

Phaaze88

Splendid
Ambassador
Reinstalling Windows wipes all the drivers on on the C drive. Did you go back to the Dell product page and reinstall all the drivers? [The latest ones, I mean.]

I’m getting around 60% GPU utilization and 30 % CPU utilization, and my speeds stay around 2.2GHZ
Since it's running so slow, it's throttling on a single thread...

Feb 16, 2020
Reinstalling Windows wipes all the drivers on on the C drive. Did you go back to the Dell product page and reinstall all the drivers? [The latest ones, I mean.]

Since it's running so slow, it's throttling on a single thread...
Yeah I went and downloaded all the drivers back how can I fix throttling on a single thread?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS