Question CPU speed below stock speeds when gaming (no thermal throttling)

Feb 16, 2020
Hey y’all

I’ve had a gaming laptop (Dell G3 3590) for about six months now, and this last month i started getting performance drops when playing GTA 5. I ran many hardware tests and diagnostics which passed, and stress tests from Intel and Dell and all passed well. Because of this, I did a fresh install of windows trying to fix my issue and it did not work. Furthermore, I used Intel XTU to lower voltage by -.120.

my problem is when I’m playing GTA 5, I’m getting around 60% GPU utilization and 30 % CPU utilization, and my speeds stay around 2.2GHZ while staying at 67 degrees Celsius, which means it’s not thermal throttling at all. A month before, GTA 5 ran at 3.8 GHZ at 85 degrees Celsius with no issues and I concistently got around 120 frames, and now I’m getting around 70 with frame drops below 60 FPS. Are there any ways to force GTA 5 to use the CPU more and make the clock speed faster?

Feb 16, 2020
Reinstalling Windows wipes all the drivers on on the C drive. Did you go back to the Dell product page and reinstall all the drivers? [The latest ones, I mean.]

Since it's running so slow, it's throttling on a single thread...

Yeah I went and downloaded all the drivers back how can I fix throttling on a single thread?