Question CPU Speed Downclocking while gamming but runs at normal speed while idling and running light programs.

Jun 17, 2018
My CPU is downclocking to 1.8-2.2 Ghz while gamming even on high performance power plan, but it runs at normal speed around 3.4 ghz while idling or running some light programs. I have no idea what happened with my laptop. Temperature seems normal around 65-70oC and all drivers are up-to-date. heres my pc spec.

Model : ASUS A456UQ
RAM : 8GB
Processor : Intel i7-7500u
NVIDIA940MX
Windows 10 v.1803 64 bit.

Updated all the drivers (VGA etc), reset the BIOS setting, set the battery to high performance power plan but it still downclocking in game!
i have no idea what happened to my laptop. any solutions? thanks.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Laptops get dirty inside. It happens if you are not particularly careful. When that happens, you lose performance bc your CPU downclocks due to overshooting temperature limit.

Solution: Disassemble laptop and clean it, i.e. remove all the hair and dust from the inside. In addition, since you are opening it up, buy reputable good quality TIM, remove existent TIM (you will find they applied too much of the stuff) and apply new TIM.

Look for internet guides on how-to.

D

Deleted member 14196

If you are not comfortable opening up your laptop then you should have a professional do it for you

Likely normal operation or laptop needs cleaned. The high boost clocks are only at lightly threaded loads. This is standard marketing for CPUs. When a heavy load such as gaming, rendering, ect. is applied, CPUs in notebooks especially will down clock considerably to at or near baseclock specification due to both power draw and heat generated.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
I own a $500 Lenovo laptop with some AMD discreet GPU, and the CPU always runs at max turbo speed when playing WoW, always. It never downclocks.

The laptop is clean inside and I have -ofc- redone TIM and replaced with AS5. Not that it had any issue, I just know that they fail at applying TIM so I redid it anyway.

That said, I am not some big authority on laptop gaming as I game almost exclusively on my desktop. If there's someone who's an expert on laptop gaming, go right ahead.

D

Deleted member 14196

There are utilities you can download like MSI afterburner to take a look at your GPU and CPU temperatures during games and that should let you know if it’s a thermal issue

Jun 17, 2018
Heres the funny thing. im playing the sims 4 and open the task manager, yes the speed is dropped to 2.5Ghz but when I press Alt+Tab to back to the desktop and check the task manager, the cpu speed suddenly go up to normal (3.5Ghz). It seems not the temperature causing the problem. idk why it happens only when i play games.