[SOLVED] CPU speed drops when gaming, but temps are okay ?

Jun 30, 2022
So I recently upgraded my CPU from Intel core i5 4500 to intel core i7 4790 and sense then every time I open up anything the CPU speed drops dramatically but it's not thermal-throttling as the CPU temp is 35/40 c idle and 50c while gaming. When I try to run any game it goes from 3.70ghz to 2.20ghz or on bigger games to 1.80ghz.

I can't figure out why. I thought maybe it's because the GPU is bottlenecking the CPU but the GPU doesn't even go above 70 while gaming, I tried all resolutions as low graphics as possible full screen as small as it can go it stays at 2.20ghz, voltage is fine. I have the maximum processor state and minium processer state at 100% and when nothing is open it's 90/100 frequency but when I open my game it drops to 50/60 frequency and stays until I close it.

I tried the CPU I just took out and It works better than the one I just bought, I get 2.60ghz with 130% maximum frequency. I have no idea what to do, if anyone knows what I can try please let me know.

Edit: I tried stress testing and it'll go from 1% to 74% and 3.60ghz to 2.67ghz this is with the power settings having both maximum and minimum processer states at 100%

Edit: I also changed the processer states to 85 present which was exactly 3ghz and it worked alright but if I changed the processer state any higher it downclocks it self to 2.20ghz

edit: that's with it idle nothing running
edit: that's with a game running: edit: both the speed and voltage dropped

Specs
Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60ghz
16 GB ram
Intel HD graphics 4600
Motherbored: 0VRWRC
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc
System Model: OptiPlex 3020M
PSU: Dell Inc 65W AC Adapter
PSU Model: HA65NS5-00
It's a mini PC

Last edited:
Solution
how can I check if it is power throttling to be sure?
like where is it shown, because none of the temps are over 60c and they just barely go over 60c when gaming or running a lot of stuff at the same time
You have a 65w PSU and a CPU that can draw 80-90w under load.
Just because it's socket compatible does not mean it will work without issue. Dell specs only lists upto an i5 for that system likely due to the power constraints.

rakinar2

Commendable
Oct 26, 2021
So I recently upgraded my CPU from Intel core i5 4500 to intel core i7 4790 and sense then every time I open up anything the CPU speed drops dramatically but it's not thermal-throttling as the CPU temp is 35/40 c idle and 50c while gaming. When I try to run any game it goes from 3.70ghz to 2.20ghz or on bigger games to 1.80ghz.

I can't figure out why. I thought maybe it's because the GPU is bottlenecking the CPU but the GPU doesn't even go above 70 while gaming, I tried all resolutions as low graphics as possible full screen as small as it can go it stays at 2.20ghz, voltage is fine. I have the maximum processor state and minium processer state at 100% and when nothing is open it's 90/100 frequency but when I open my game it drops to 50/60 frequency and stays until I close it.

I tried the CPU I just took out and It works better than the one I just bought, I get 2.60ghz with 130% maximum frequency. I have no idea what to do, if anyone knows what I can try please let me know.

Edit: I tried stress testing and it'll go from 1% to 74% and 3.60ghz to 2.67ghz this is with the power settings having both maximum and minimum processer states at 100%

Edit: I also changed the processer states to 85 present which was exactly 3ghz and it worked alright but if I changed the processer state any higher it downclocks it self to 2.20ghz

Specs
Intel Core i6 4790 @3.60ghz
16 GB ram
Intel HD graphics 4600

Intel Core i6 processor does not exist. Perhaps its an i7?

Reactions: DarkTillDawn
Jun 30, 2022
brand and model of the motherboard and psu?

I added all that information I still haven't been able to figure out why it's dropping everytime it's under load I've checked every possibility and none of them match not wattage, not bottlenecking, not throttling it's at perfect temperature, and it just drops when running anything, I have the maximum and minimum frequency set to 100% yet when I just run the browser it drops down to 74 maximum frequency, then running a game it drops down to 54 maximum frequency. I can't figure it out.

Jun 30, 2022
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022
It's likely power throttling. That motherboard and power source were never meant to power an i7.

like where is it shown, because none of the temps are over 60c and they just barely go over 60c when gaming or running a lot of stuff at the same time

bignastyid

Titan
You have a 65w PSU and a CPU that can draw 80-90w under load.
Just because it's socket compatible does not mean it will work without issue. Dell specs only lists upto an i5 for that system likely due to the power constraints.

Reactions: DarkTillDawn
Solution