[SOLVED] Cpu speed drops

M4C1X

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I have an intel i7-7700HQ (laptop) processor with speed drops to around 1.2 GHz. Most often this happens when I play. I noticed then that the use of all components decreases. The processor is undervolted to -0,140V but when I set it to 0 the problem still exists.

Solution
This is normal for most laptops. You can try external cooling to mitigate the downclock but it may not be enough.
These CPUs were never meant to run at full GHz speed, with load, for any length of time. Very few laptops are able to do this.. If you want full speed, most/all the time, you'll need to look at the larger, expensive gaming laptops with really good active cooling.
This is normal for most laptops. You can try external cooling to mitigate the downclock but it may not be enough.
These CPUs were never meant to run at full GHz speed, with load, for any length of time. Very few laptops are able to do this.. If you want full speed, most/all the time, you'll need to look at the larger, expensive gaming laptops with really good active cooling.

Solution

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Put windows power plan to high performance and best to play games when plugged in. I have a msi laptop with a 7700hq in it and without undervolting it stays at 3.6ghz

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
So cpu lowers the speed so as not to overheat?
Yes ,what is the model of laptop? I’m kinda curious if they didn’t apply enough thermal paste from the factory it shouldn’t be throttling that hard unless they shoved a 7700hq into a ultrabook. My msi ge62 isn’t very thick and it keeps the cpu around 80c fully loaded and at 3.6-3.8ghz