Question CPU Speed is not rising with load, apparent issue with power

Mar 25, 2022
So, a week ago my PC suddenly shut off, no crash, no shutdown, just a sudden loss of power. Obviously I was concerned but after a quick inspection of all the cables everything seemed fine and when I booted back up everything ran as normal. Thought nothing of it until it happened again, and again. Now I have a proper issue.

My CPU is no longer running at expected speeds given the load. It's a Ryzen 5800X, base speed 3.80 GHz. Today I've tried running several different games and am currently running an AIDA64 stress test on the CPU and it's sitting at ~0.53 GHz. This is obviously a problem, I suspect it's an issue with the motherboard possibly caused by an issue with the power supply? However, the power supply is new, recently replaced the old PSU after it up and died out of the blue after only about a year of service. So is my motherboard a problem, or is this something else and I'm off the mark?

Edit: I should mention, it's not a thermal issue, cooler is working fine and temps are at a reasonable if not high 85 - 90°C which is within the chips limits, this system is built in the NZXT H1 case which is a bit of a hot box.

Also here's the full specs.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce TX 3070
MoBo: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 (BIOS v. P2.71)
RAM: G.Skill F4-300 C16-16GTZR DDR4
PSU: Corsair SF750

(Edit 2: Added PSU and MoBo BIOS version.)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022
All my drivers appear to be up to date, and I double checked the BIOS version in the BIOS itself and I can confirm that it states P2.71. I have never flashed the BIOS on this board so that is what it came with.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS