[SOLVED] CPU speed is way above the base speed

Aug 16, 2021
I have noticed that my cpu is at a very high speed compared to its base speed. the speed that it sits on is about 3.9GHz whilst the base speed is 2.3Ghz. Is this normal for a gaming laptop?

This laptop has not been overclocked and has only been resetted

Solution
I have noticed that my cpu is at a very high speed compared to its base speed. the speed that it sits on is about 3.9GHz whilst the base speed is 2.3Ghz. Is this normal for a gaming laptop?

New-ish CPUs have variable frequencies which vary according to load so your OS and programs are the ones causing them.
In windows you have several options with and in Power saving features, try lowering Minimum processor state to 5% or less. On true idle frequencies should fall way bellow base speed.

Yes it's the cpu turbo boost kicking on it mainly common in laptops and newer desktop builds.
Edit common in newer desktop builds to come pre-enabled

Reactions: Krotow

New-ish CPUs have variable frequencies which vary according to load so your OS and programs are the ones causing them.
In windows you have several options with and in Power saving features, try lowering Minimum processor state to 5% or less. On true idle frequencies should fall way bellow base speed.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution
What does this have to due with anything he asked?????? He was talking about if a turbo mode on a "gaming "laptop is normal why would you tell him to adjust his stuff if not need???? Or even asked about

Where did you see anything about "turbo" ???
All there is is question about minimal frequency that's above "base speed" and that still depends on the load.
Wow your going to way to into depth as to what I said.... I never "quoted him on the words" he is asking if it normal for a cpu to go from it base "2.9GHz to go to 3.1GHz YES IT'S called turboing or boosting or whatever mobo you have calls it...... and ummm yes load will determine if this will happen.... however again at 2.9GHz the cpu will turbo watching a video of my freaking pinky going side to side..... most anything now a days requires atleast 3.0GHz due to windows consumption plus the background task going on then whatever page you have open.... it may not be "you have a background task going" but there's always background task going whether it be audio ethernet or wifi keyboard and mouse they all controlled via third party..... yes they are running in windows with windows via 3rd party driver

Wow your going to way to into depth as to what I said.... I never "quoted him on the words" he is asking if it normal for a cpu to go from it base "2.9GHz to go to 3.1GHz YES IT'S called turboing or boosting or whatever mobo you have calls it...... and ummm yes load will determine if this will happen.... however again at 2.9GHz the cpu will turbo watching a video of my freaking pinky going side to side..... most anything now a days requires atleast 3.0GHz due to windows consumption plus the background task going on then whatever page you have open.... it may not be "you have a background task going" but there's always background task going whether it be audio ethernet or wifi keyboard and mouse they all controlled via third party..... yes they are running in windows with windows via 3rd party driver
Call it "turbo, boost" or whatever you want but at idle it shouldn't even get close to those frequencies if true. That is first place to look at, background and other processes that cause it.

Call it "turbo, boost" or whatever you want but at idle it shouldn't even get close to those frequencies if true. That is first place to look at, background and other processes that cause it.
He never said it was idle just said it normally sits about 3.9.... generally meaning your using the computer well monitoring things.... generally if it's a idling issue they'll right out the gate say it's a idle issue not saying it's not but that's not at all what sounds like is going on sounds like if he is thinking it idle it's not steam blizzard and orgin all them and others are probably still running in the background

He never said it was idle just said it normally sits about 3.9.... generally meaning your using the computer well monitoring things.... generally if it's a idling issue they'll right out the gate say it's a idle issue not saying it's not but that's not at all what sounds like is going on sounds like if he is thinking it idle it's not steam blizzard and orgin all them and others are probably still running in the background
OP really didn't say much about CPU/laptop or conditions under which frequency stays so high so I had to surmise it's about time when he is not running anything "heavy" enough to cause it. That he would know for sure.
That leaves only idle or what he may think is idle but may be not enough to slow it down.
That part is easy to check, just run Task manager to see CPU usage. Depending on CPU it should be only few %. Under same conditions some dual core would have higher percentage than let's say an 8 core at which true idle should be about 1% or less.

TRENDING THREADS