CPU speed not what it should be

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Ok, so i just recently fixed my computer replacing the motherboard with the same one (RMA) and upgraded my cpu. The problem is that my computer shows and uses 800 MHz. Ok on to the specs.

CPU: AMD Phenom II http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103887&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii-_-19-103-887-_-Product

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair II

I looked up my problem didn't come up with much, like i know AMD has the quiet thing for there cpu's when their not being used that much but mine is always at 800 MHz. It's really hard to explain but when running some cpu tests it even says i have 800 MHz, when it should be 3.3 GHz. Games run choppy and such. I also noticed that i might have to update my bios or download a driver or something. And another note, my computer doesn't recognize the cpu on the start up, simply says AMD unknown processor. So if there is a way for my computer to recognize my cpu, like if i have to mess with bios or something, that would be great.

cyberbarber_95

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
IS 800MHz the FSB speed ? Also what clock multiplyer are you on? As a rule of thumb to get to 3.3GHz divide the FSB speed to CPU Speed. to get the clock multiplyer. I would have thought that most new Phenoms run on a 1000MHz FSB (actual) - As the CPU is multiplyer unlocked you may have set this manually against the FSB to get 3.3GHz.

loneninja

Distinguished

Have you ever used an AMD system? They don't have a FSB and their base clock has been 200Mhz for years. It's been 200 x multiplier = clock speed since Athlon 64 in 2003.

OP, your cpu is running 800mhz and coming up as an unknown processor because your motherboard doesn't recognize it. This is a BIOS issue, you either need a new BIOS that supports your cpu, or it's possible there is no support.

Ok so you got a new processor without checking compatibility?

The Crosshair II has been around for awhile and it has had many bios updates so maybe it might help but your CPU is not even on the list. The 560 came out at the end of the summer I believe. It never hurts to try updating it Good Luck.

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Ok so can you help me navigate to the specific bios update i need? I found my motherboard and theres about 51 files, and 19 of them are bios. I just don't want to pick the wrong one and mess up my mb. Thanks!

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Ok so i found it, downloaded it, burned it to a disc, restarted my computer and my computer just booted normally. I'm not too familiar with making boot discs but all i did was burn the .bin file to the clean disc. Is there a special program or somthing i should use?

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Ok i set it to drive 1, still no luck. Just restarts normally, maybe i should try nero or something.

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

How do i boot into DOS mode?

With a DOS boot disk/CD of course, that includes not only your new BIOS but a handful of simple DOS (Disk Operating System) commands.

I normally wouldn't suggest this BUT this may be a situation where the Asus BIOS update utility running in the Win OS would be the best option for you.

And be aware, screwing up a BIOS flash (in or out of Windows) makes for a really bad day, will brick the motherboard, and require the BIOS chip to be replaced.

It doesn't happen very often (only happened to me once in 30+ years) and is a simple process, but you must follow the update instructions exactly.

I would download the latest BIOS file to your desktop, download and install the Asus Update Utility, and run the utility from within Windows.

When rebooting the computer enter the BIOS, **Load Optimized Defaults** F10-Save and exit.

It will also be necessary for you to reset a handful basic settings regarding your HDD setup, Boot sequence, etc.

Are you comfortable with this?

wakoko00

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
hey dude try disabling the epu-4 engine that is preventing the clock from going up to the max speed...just had that same problem and i just figured it out..tru it..glad i copuld help..hehe..happy gaming!!