Question CPU speed problem on Lenovo laptop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2021
I have a problem with my IdeaPad L340-15IRH Gaming Laptop. it started 2 weeks ago.

The CPU goes from 4.19 GHz to 0.9 GHz after 5 min of playing any game like control assassins creed unity/origin/Valhalla
/ battlefield 5 / Nioh 2, then sudden FPS drop from something like 60 fps to 20 fps. But when i play a game like FIFA 19 / league of legends game runs smoothly without any fps drop. i just noticed that when my cpu speed returned to normal i heard a weird noise coming from my laptop it was a very low voice
pls, someone help me i have been searching to fix this problem for 1 week now.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Fhz8qFD
View: https://imgur.com/a/pD781q0
View: https://imgur.com/a/sAXBRNN
View: https://imgur.com/a/9QawRfv

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What OS version are you currently on for your laptop? Latest BIOS update for said laptop? Where did you source the games that you're taxing the laptop with? On another note, have you tried using DDU and then using the latest drivers for your discrete GPU(from Nvidia's support site), reinstalling in an elevated command and then seeing if the issue persists?

How long have you had the laptop, and did you buy it new? Warranty?

Certainly this would at least seem to be a thermal issue, throttling.

I would download HWinfo, install it, run sensors only, uncheck "summary" and then see what the CPU temperature is doing when it throttles itself. If it has a thermal issue and is still under warranty, then my advice would be to take advantage of the warranty or repair service, because that is the most probable issue.

If it is not under warranty, then we are going to need a lot more information, such as, what have you already tried (If anything).

If you've used the unit, at all, on a surface that is likely to block the fan vents, like carpet, your pants, a bed with blankets on it, etc., then it's possible that you directly caused thermal damage to the unit and I've seen this happen a great many times. If that's the case, it's probably done and nothing you can really do about it.

If you have not done that, and have always used it either elevated off any surface or only on hard surfaces that cannot block intake vents, then it's possible this is due to a bad driver or BIOS update, or seriously needs to be blown out. I'm skeptical that dust or other particulates are to blame because the unit is likely just simply not old enough to have gotten to that point yet unless you live in a dust bowl.

Knowing the full history of your unit including things you might not think are important, might be.

Apr 26, 2021
What OS version are you currently on for your laptop? Latest BIOS update for said laptop? Where did you source the games that you're taxing the laptop with? On another note, have you tried using DDU and then using the latest drivers for your discrete GPU(from Nvidia's support site), reinstalling in an elevated command and then seeing if the issue persists?
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎4/‎26/‎2021
OS build 19042.964
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
BIOS VERSION BGCN33WW
All games was working fine until last 2 weeks / i finished them before
i just noticed that when my cpu speed returned to normal i heard a weird noise coming from my laptop it was a very low voice

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021
How long have you had the laptop, and did you buy it new? Warranty?

Certainly this would at least seem to be a thermal issue, throttling.

I would download HWinfo, install it, run sensors only, uncheck "summary" and then see what the CPU temperature is doing when it throttles itself. If it has a thermal issue and is still under warranty, then my advice would be to take advantage of the warranty or repair service, because that is the most probable issue.

If it is not under warranty, then we are going to need a lot more information, such as, what have you already tried (If anything).

If you've used the unit, at all, on a surface that is likely to block the fan vents, like carpet, your pants, a bed with blankets on it, etc., then it's possible that you directly caused thermal damage to the unit and I've seen this happen a great many times. If that's the case, it's probably done and nothing you can really do about it.

If you have not done that, and have always used it either elevated off any surface or only on hard surfaces that cannot block intake vents, then it's possible this is due to a bad driver or BIOS update, or seriously needs to be blown out. I'm skeptical that dust or other particulates are to blame because the unit is likely just simply not old enough to have gotten to that point yet unless you live in a dust bowl.

Knowing the full history of your unit including things you might not think are important, might be.
hi thank u for helping me
i am using my laptop on a normal desk and cleaning my laptop from outside twice every week / a bought this laptop 8 m ago
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎4/‎26/‎2021
OS build 19042.964
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
BIOS VERSION BGCN33WW
All games was working fine until last 2 weeks / i finished them before
tried many solutions but nothing happened
i linked some screen shots up there but to be honest i dont understand whats the problem all i know that my cpu speed goes low after 5 min of playing from 4 ghz to 0.9 ghz
and my cpu package power goes low too from like 20 w to 3 w
and when i open task manager my gpu was at 0 - 2 %
i just noticed that when my cpu speed returned to normal i heard a weird noise coming from my laptop it was a very low voice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.