[SOLVED] CPU speed stuck on 2,2 Ghz when stressed using CPU Z ?

Feb 20, 2022
Hi Everyone
I’ve just upgraded my CPU from i3 2330 to i7 2860. It’s all normal after upgrade (Turbo boost works fine). But just one problem, when CPU got heavy load or CPU stressed using CPU Z, CPU speed stuck on 2,2 Ghz. We know that core i7 2860 has 2,5 Ghz on base speed and 3,6 on turbo boost mode. Anyone can help me please?

Solution
If your laptop never originally came with that processor, it is possible that the bios is not setting up the turbo power limits correctly. At full load you might be seeing turbo power limit throttling.

To troubleshoot this, run ThrottleStop and show me a picture of the main window and a picture of the TPL window so I can see how the bios is setting your turbo power limits. Many laptops from this era locked the turbo power limits in the bios so they cannot be adjusted. You might not be able to solve the problem you are having. Setting ThrottleStop up correctly might help.
Hi Everyone
I’ve just upgraded my CPU from i3 2330 to i7 2860. It’s all normal after upgrade (Turbo boost works fine). But just one problem, when CPU got heavy load or CPU stressed using CPU Z, CPU speed stuck on 2,2 Ghz. We know that core i7 2860 has 2,5 Ghz on base speed and 3,6 on turbo boost mode. Anyone can help me please?
Where did you see that cpu is compatible with that pc?

If your laptop never originally came with that processor, it is possible that the bios is not setting up the turbo power limits correctly. At full load you might be seeing turbo power limit throttling.

To troubleshoot this, run ThrottleStop and show me a picture of the main window and a picture of the TPL window so I can see how the bios is setting your turbo power limits. Many laptops from this era locked the turbo power limits in the bios so they cannot be adjusted. You might not be able to solve the problem you are having. Setting ThrottleStop up correctly might help.

Solution
Feb 20, 2022

I show you picture of TPL

View: https://imgur.com/Wyk1coC
Turbo mode works

View: https://imgur.com/D8RYNZl
stressed by CPU Z, max core only 2,2

View: https://imgur.com/wE4mi8t
pic of throttlestop TPL

@cassavha
The turbo power limits and the current limit are set correctly. Show me a picture of the TRL window so I can make sure the turbo ratios are set to their default values.

Check the ThrottleStop High Performance box. This will switch Windows to the High Performance power plan.
Check the Clock Mod box.
Check the Set Multiplier box.
Clear the BD PROCHOT box.
Press the Turn On button.

ThrottleStop should look like this.

hB2h2jE.png

Open the Options window and check the Disable Chipset Throttle box. This option might be disabled on your computer. Let me know if this option is gray and disabled.

trW2GyJ.png

Exit CPU-Z and exit HWiNFO when testing.

Run a ThrottleStop - TS Bench test and set it to a 1 Thread test. Take a screenshot of ThrottleStop while this test is running. You do not have to run the whole test. You can stop each test after you have taken a screenshot. Take another screenshot while running a 2 Thread test, a 4 Thread Test and an 8 Thread full load test. When finished testing, show me the screenshots of these tests.

The results you get are unknown.
Maximum power consumption is only 19W so the CPU is not turbo power limit throttling. There is no reason so far for a 2860QM to be running slower than its 2.5 GHz base speed when it is loaded.