CPU spikes and fluctuating internet speed

Sep 17, 2018
Hello guys and first I'd like to say that I am sorry if this was posted already and solved but I tried everything and nothing worked. I just bought a laptop to be more specific an HP Omen 17-an0xx. When I say I just bought it I mean I bought it today. I took it out of the box did the basic first time setup stuff and installed a few applications that I also have on my desktop i.e Steam, Codeblocks, MysqlWorkbench, Unreal Engine 4 and stuff like that. When I started downloading a game on steam I noticed that my connection was very unstable despite me using and ethernet cable and not the wi-fi. I am currently using the same cable that I unplugged from my desktop which was working just fine today morning. I tried everything from updating all drivers, the bios , deleting all HP pre-installed stuff , scanning for viruses malware bloatware and so on. The computer does some weird cpu usage spikes going all the way to 100% usage and the download speed does some freaky stuff for example goes all the way to 40-50 mb/s when the usage is high but when it goes down to 6-7% the download stops so it seems there is a problem somewhere that affects both my cpu and bandwidth. Thank you for reading this and I hope that together we can solve.

Solution
If it is a New This Morning laptop, things are normal.
As soon as you fired it up and connected to the internet all Windows updates,HP Updates, Virus Updates, Program Updates, Pre-installed crapware updates etc.........................
Most of these are single threaded programs and only use one CPU core. So your processor is at max boost rate for one-two active core/s.

Then we have windows telemetry as they call it, or windows 10 collecting your data and uploading it.Installed programs,contacts,emails and accounts,Excel,Access,Word files etc..... Pre-installed spyware in my opinion.
then we have windows torrent. Where your computer is used to upload updates to other peoples computer. Saves Microsoft money to download updates to a few...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How do the balance of your resources look? High disk usage etc?
During your updates, you may have installed Windows10 'patch' type updates, which can bring with them some issues - CPU/memory spikes (or higher sustained than expected), although the networking aspect is a little strange

Sep 17, 2018
looking at task manager I notice rather unpleasant spikes everywhere even on the disk; it goes from 0% so 66% back to 6% and in idle my cpu is at 25-35% clocked at 3.5Ghz which to me seems too high of a frequency considering that i'm not playing anything just writing this post right now. memory usage has been pretty much a flat 35% (at least now it is). Honestly I cant even anymore I am so salty I feel like having a mental breakdown. I just tested to see if anything goes wrong while gaming lightly (a match of league) and it seemed pretty ok no noticeable perfomance drops but right now I am so paranoic that I'd consider even a slow loading website a new issue so yeah...right now cpu usage is stabilised i guess between 20-22% and 3.50Ghz-3.51Ghz ( this to me seems wrong since stock speed is 2.8Ghz and i didnt overclock it or anything it just goes up to 3.5Ghz)

If it is a New This Morning laptop, things are normal.
As soon as you fired it up and connected to the internet all Windows updates,HP Updates, Virus Updates, Program Updates, Pre-installed crapware updates etc.........................
Most of these are single threaded programs and only use one CPU core. So your processor is at max boost rate for one-two active core/s.

Then we have windows telemetry as they call it, or windows 10 collecting your data and uploading it.Installed programs,contacts,emails and accounts,Excel,Access,Word files etc..... Pre-installed spyware in my opinion.
then we have windows torrent. Where your computer is used to upload updates to other peoples computer. Saves Microsoft money to download updates to a few million computers. then those upload it to more people and the cycle repeats till everyone gets the updates.
And all of the software register/upgrade prompts running in the background.

Sorry about the Win 10 rant info session. But that is what is happening now. In a day or 2 things will eventually get completely updated.
Ethernet upload and download will get normal. Windows and everything else is trying to update in the background.

PS
Just bought a new dell gaming laptop and experienced the same issue for the first couple days of use .A couple hours each day max use for me though. After everything was updated and tweeked a little everything is fine with it now.

Solution
Sep 17, 2018
Thank you. I'm gonna wait a couple of days before trying more fixes and I'll come back with an answer. It's my first laptop and I went nuts thinking it's some factory shit. (reason for thinking this was having a bad motherboard on my desktop which resulted in a couple of months of hardware replacing and troubleshooting). Also the extra shady thing was that my internet speed test were ok (standard fiber speeds) but in practice they were significantly lower.

Sep 17, 2018
Thanks a lot for the help as I said I am now coming back with an answer. Everything has pretty much improved altough I still noticed some internet speed issues though I haven't tested as much since I only noticed it today and it doesnt really bother me that much since the connection is stable but the speed tends to fluctuate a bit (but it's still really good ~35mb/s on steam)

TRENDING THREADS