Question CPU Spikes = Stuttering in all games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2019
Hello, all.
I've been dealing with stuttering in all of my games for around a year now.
I still have no clue on how to fix this issue, as it used to work perfectly fine before.
I definitely think it's CPU related at this point, and i'll get to why I think that in a second.
Here are the things i've tried that haven't worked:

Reinstalling Windows
Reinstalling latest Nvidia drivers
Moving games to SSD
Changing core affinity in games (Less makes it worse)
Changing page file size to the recommended value
Cleaning the dust out of my PC
Testing the RAM with MemTest86
Removing the two old sticks of RAM
Installing Windows to SSD and booting off of there
Unparking Cores (They already were)
Using HDMI instead of VGA to my monitor (Did the same thing)
Testing with and without Vsync
Lowering graphical settings in all games (Still stutters)
And i've probably tried more things that I can't think of at the moment.

Just to be very clear, this stuttering only occurs when loading a menu, area, or entities in a game.
By stuttering I do NOT mean screen tearing. A lot of people i've seen mention stuttering do not realize that it is not the same as screen tearing.
Now, the reason I think it's CPU related is because when I monitor the CPU usage in any game while playing or "loading", the stutter forces the CPU to spike to 100%.
This is really all I have to go on at this point in time. Some games run better than others, and some games run better when playing Multiplayer, rather than single player.
If I play Minecraft in single player, it stutters horribly, but Multiplayer runs way smoother and with less hesitations. CS:GO, is the opposite when I practice offline though.
Nvidia settings i've changed around - nothing makes a difference with that.
I've tried running my PC on balanced power mode and high performance, but no luck with that.
I've even tried disabling turbo mode for my CPU just to test performance and nothing with that either.
I have no clue why it is doing this, but if anyone here can think of anything, please let me know.

SETUP / SPECS:
1920x1080 HP 60hz monitor
Windows 8.1
16gb RAM
Intel I5-4440
MSI GTX 970
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD

Thanks in advance.

May 25, 2019
Your welcome.

Yeah, there's not much to diagnosing a cpu/gpu. Matter of testing to see clock speeds remain at reasonable levels while staying cool and stable.

Programs like realbench for cpu

For gpu

Furmark
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5462-furmark.html

Heaven
https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Monitoring software, HWinfo64, Core temp and gpuz to check frequencies and temps.

Okay, so I just performed a RealBench CPU Benchmark.
My results were:
Image Editing: 142,115 [Time: 37.4906]
Encoding: 36,568 [Time: 145.697]
OpenCL: 65,026 [KSamples/sec: 12041]
Heavy Multitasking: 38,091 [Time: 200.361]
System Score: 70,450

Now i'm not 100% sure what these numbers mean, so if you are familiar with that, please let me know.
Also, another thing that I noticed after this benchmarking test was done, was that there is a stress test.
I tried it for a short amount of time, and noticed that when it was being performed, the window of RealBench would have stuttery movement if I clicked and dragged it somewhere else. I don't think this is normal, but I could be wrong. If this isn't normal, however, I see a correlation between that and the stuttering in my games, possibly.
Also, I downloaded Heaven Benchmark but Haven't tried it yet. I will soon.

May 25, 2019
I couldn't say what those numbers mean, all im looking for is if cpu frequency is being consistent when loaded.

When i stress test i keep both tester and temp/frequency monitor side by side to keep an eye on.

This is what I see.
cpu.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The idea of these tests is to make sure the system is stable OC'd or not. It seems your cpu is stable when it's able to take a beating. But, where's the frequency reading when all of that was going on? Just to make sure, use coretemp and adjust window size so you can watch it. Coretemp reads live cpu speeds.

May 25, 2019
The idea of these tests is to make sure the system is stable OC'd or not. It seems your cpu is stable when it's able to take a beating. But, where's the frequency reading when all of that was going on? Just to make sure, use coretemp and adjust window size so you can watch it. Coretemp reads live cpu speeds.

I downloaded CoreTemp and ran it in conjunction with the Stress Test.
Sorry if I didn't understand what you meant, i'm not really good with computers, hence the reason why i'm here.
I appreciate all of the help given so far.
3292.38 MHz Before the Stress Test (As seen below)
CPUCore-Temp-Idle.png

3092.85 MHz During the Stress Test (As seen below)
CPUCore-Temp.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Turbo when all cores are used will drop a bit in speed, that's normal. Well your cpu isn't throttling so thats good.

Do the same for the video card and monitor it's frequency. May need to use Afterburner to monitor gpu speed / temps if can't minimise from full screen.

If frequencies are normal for the graphics card, run both cpu and gpu test at the same time.

May 25, 2019
Turbo when all cores are used will drop a bit in speed, that's normal. Well your cpu isn't throttling so thats good.

Do the same for the video card and monitor it's frequency. May need to use Afterburner to monitor gpu speed / temps if can't minimise from full screen.

If frequencies are normal for the graphics card, run both cpu and gpu test at the same time.
Not sure if this is the way you wanted me to do it, but I used GPU-Z and checked the sensors tab while running the Stress Test.
gpu.png

May 25, 2019
Yeah those pictures are fine, both cpu/gpu check out, no throttling.

Try 3Dmark firestrike and validate and post link here

https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark scroll down to the bottom for basic edition can grab for free in Steam under 'Downloadable Content for this software'

Try https://www.userbenchmark.com/ as well

I have bad internet so it'll take me a while to download 3dmark, apparently.
I just tried userbenchmark and here are the results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17242786

boju

Titan
Ambassador
User bench seems normal, no obvious problems there.

We'll see how firestrike performs. If you don't get drastic fps drops/stutters there then that questions the games you're playing because your system has held it's stance through vigorous testing.

May 25, 2019
User bench seems normal, no obvious problems there.

We'll see how firestrike performs. If you don't get drastic fps drops/stutters there then that questions the games you're playing because your system has held it's stance through vigorous testing.
My Fire Strike results are below.
I noticed some stuttering in Fire Strike, but only at the beginning of one of the tests, which makes sense since it loaded everything in at that point.
This stuttering issue has always only occurred when loading things, whether it be a menu, an area, or certain entities.
Also, the FPS in Fire Strike was really low for me.
Fire-Strike.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Me not being able to see the severity of stutters you're having, typically always going to get load stutters. I do in games like FC4/5 or Ghost Recon but it's not too bad. Left 4 Dead or games not really resource hogs i don't remember seeing stutters of this nature.

Only other thing i can think of is it might be an I/O random access issue from Sata port in use for the SSD. I'm only guessing.

I've been looking around on specs for the Lenovo k450 motherboard i think you have. Specs on Sata ports if there are more than one controller. Motherboards can have multiple Sata controllers but I 'think' you only have the one controller but im not sure, sometimes third party controllers can cause issues depending on driver. Can find out in Device manager > Storage controllers.

Shouldn't really matter which Sata port the SSD is connected to but i like to use the first port either 0 or 1, mainly because i have two controllers on my motherboard and i know those ports use the primary chipset. What really matters if AHCI is enabled for Sata host controller in the bios? SSDs perform better with AHCI rather than IDE.

Check device manager, follow this;
https://itstillworks.com/check-ahci-mode-properly-enabled-21248.html

For me i have a list of ATA channels and an entry with AHCI - 'Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02'

If Sata mode in the bios is set to IDE, need to reinstall Windows in AHCI mode. Changing IDE to AHCI will cause Windows not to boot.

May 25, 2019
Me not being able to see the severity of stutters you're having, typically always going to get load stutters. I do in games like FC4/5 or Ghost Recon but it's not too bad. Left 4 Dead or games not really resource hogs i don't remember seeing stutters of this nature.

Only other thing i can think of is it might be an I/O random access issue from Sata port in use for the SSD. I'm only guessing.

I've been looking around on specs for the Lenovo k450 motherboard i think you have. Specs on Sata ports if there are more than one controller. Motherboards can have multiple Sata controllers but I 'think' you only have the one controller but im not sure, sometimes third party controllers can cause issues depending on driver. Can find out in Device manager > Storage controllers.

Shouldn't really matter which Sata port the SSD is connected to but i like to use the first port either 0 or 1, mainly because i have two controllers on my motherboard and i know those ports use the primary chipset. What really matters if AHCI is enabled for Sata host controller in the bios? SSDs perform better with AHCI rather than IDE.

Check device manager, follow this;
https://itstillworks.com/check-ahci-mode-properly-enabled-21248.html

For me i have a list of ATA channels and an entry with AHCI - 'Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02'

If Sata mode in the bios is set to IDE, need to reinstall Windows in AHCI mode. Changing IDE to AHCI will cause Windows not to boot.

The thing is, the stutters aren't while loading the game before you enter the level, the stutters happen WHILE YOU'RE PLAYING. It sucks.
Like you saw in Minecraft, singleplayer is almost unplayable when rendering new areas or whatever is going on in the game.
Other games aren't as bad, but still are an annoyance.
As for the storage controllers, I only have "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller" listed in Device Manager.
Also, AHCI is enabled.
This is beginning to frustrate me, as i've exhausted almost all of my efforts trying to determine what's wrong with my PC for over a year.
I'm considering just saving money and buying / building a PC.
I can make a video of the stuttering in some games if you want to see what I see while I play.

May 25, 2019

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
i would try going into system information find your mother board make name find the drivers for windows 8.1 or try windows 10 with the drivers if there web site has them from the manufacturers support page . if its not a hard drive or ssd problem its most likely a driver problem if that doesn't work i have no clue they checked every thing i could think of

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
just think of hardware like two people speaking a different language with out the proper drivers (translator) your system will most likely use windows generic ones that makes it much harder much slower to get any where in a conversation. with the right drivers the people should be able to easily talk to each other and in turn programs can use them correctly . its important to have the most latest stable drivers from the mother board and gpu web site to make sure every thing runs smoothly and if you have done that as i said no idea what the problem could be but good luck hope you work it out 🙂

May 25, 2019
i would try going into system information find your mother board make name find the drivers for windows 8.1 or try windows 10 with the drivers if there web site has them from the manufacturers support page . if its not a hard drive or ssd problem its most likely a driver problem if that doesn't work i have no clue they checked every thing i could think of
The model says "Not available".
baseboard.png

May 25, 2019
erm try cpu z
your system got any labels on it ? 🤔
ps could go in to the bios if that dont work should see it
It's a Lenovo 31900058 STD, according to Speccy.
And i'm not sure that you have read all of the responses in the thread....
The chipset drivers were up to date and when I tried to install them, they wouldn't install.

Status
Not open for further replies.