CPU Spikes to 100% - Everything freezes up for about 10-30 seconds

Hostiles

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
For about a month now, my CPU has been spiking to 100% and everything kind of just freezes. I can click around and everything, but nothing will work. My browser just continuously loads, although I can open a new tab. I usually only notice it when I'm browsing the web. Sometimes it happens when I tab out of a game and browse the web. A couple times out of the very many times this happens I have had a blue screen. Sadly I don't have any .dmp files for you to look at. My CPU is water cooled with the Corsair H110 and my temps generally range from 25-35 Celsius. Everything stays relatively cool in my case, even when gaming. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 6300
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-x 7970
RAM: 16GB Crucial Balistix Sport
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FX UD3
OS is on 120GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD and I have a 1TB WD Blue drive for storage.

If you need any other information, just please let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Were any software changes made just prior to the issue? Sometimes program conflicts can cause similar behavior. Any changes made in the bios or attempts at over clocking?

Also have you run virus and malware scans to insure your pc is not infected?

If none of the above fit the first thing I would check is memory stability. Memtest86 is a good program to check for memory stability.

Hostiles

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

No software changes/OC attempts. I have no viruses/malware. I've got 10 passes on each stick of RAM with Memtest.

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
You mention that it generally happens when you are browsing the web. Is this the only time this occurs? If so you may try using a different browser just to rule our corruption in your current browser installation.

Hostiles

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

I'll try that, and I'll also try to monitor my processes (I don't know if I can, considering everything stops responding) to see if Chrome is causing it.