CPU Spikes to Nearly 100°C/212°F When Gaming or When at 100% Utilization

Jan 1, 2019
I've never turned to tech forums to help with my PC problems until today. So yesterday, I was playing GTA V. I wasn't monitoring the temperature but I did notice that my FPS was around 20 when it was usually around 60 and 70. This could be because I just installed a graphics mod for GTA V so I'm not sure if this had to do with my 100°C CPU today. The red flag that really worried me was when I turned on my PC and noticed that my CPU fan was running at max speed. I went to MSI Command Center to find out that the CPU was running at 99°C. I instantly opened Task Manager and saw that basically 100% of my CPU was being used by the "Antimalware Service Executable" which is basically Windows Defender. I left the task running, assuming it was running a scan or something like that. The CPU temperature was still 90-100°C so I decided to open up MSI X Boost (a program which controls performance in certain areas of the PC like CPU performance, audio performance, etc...) At the time, it was set on File Transfer Mode and Storage Boost was on. I figured maybe if I turned on Game Mode, the CPU would be cooler and the game would run at a better frame rate. Sadly, this also didn't make a difference as when I opened up GTA V, the CPU utilization spiked to 100% and stayed there and the CPU temperature was at an alarming 105°C! But when I opened a less graphically intensive game like Rocket League and PAYDAY 2, the frame rate was the same as always. You may be thinking that the GTA V graphics mod is the culprit but when the PC is idling, the CPU is supposed to be at around 35-45°C but now it's usually running at 50-65°C. So what could be the problem? The GTA V graphics mod? Maybe somehow harming the CPU by playing a long time with the graphics mod and now the CPU is weaker? Not sure. Any answers would be appreciated.

SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700(non K) @ 3.2 GHz
Motherboard: Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) (An MSI motherboard)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (8GB Video Memory)
RAM: 16 GB (Speed: 2133 MHz) (not sure what kind of RAM sticks and what model)
Storage: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (2TB HDD)
Case: CyberPowerPC/Cougar Case (3 fans in front that sucks air in) (1 fan in back that also sucks air in) (has air vents on the top of the case) (not sure what model)

NOTE: The PC itself is literally sitting inside a storage-like box. Also let me know if you need pictures of anything regarding the PC.

Solution
The antimalware software was running a scan. That accounts for the 100% CPU usage.

The 100 C CPU temperature is a problem. The CPU cooler isn't functioning correctly. I would suggest remounting the CPU cooler with fresh thermal paste. Make sure that the cooler is flat against the CPU and firmly mounted. Check the cooler fans for operation. If the cooler is a watercooler also check the pump for operation. The pump could be plugged or broken.

The antimalware software was running a scan. That accounts for the 100% CPU usage.

The 100 C CPU temperature is a problem. The CPU cooler isn't functioning correctly. I would suggest remounting the CPU cooler with fresh thermal paste. Make sure that the cooler is flat against the CPU and firmly mounted. Check the cooler fans for operation. If the cooler is a watercooler also check the pump for operation. The pump could be plugged or broken.

Solution
Jan 1, 2019
I check CPU World and my 8700 says its max operating temperature is 100°C, so does that mean it's ok to constantly have it around 80-90°C? Sorry, I'm not very good with computers.

No, that is the temperature that the system automatically throttles back the CPU. It can damage the system if left unchecked. Running the system at 100 C will reduce the lifetime of the components.

Jan 1, 2019
So basically the best way to fix this is first move the PC to an open space for ventilation and if that doesn't decrease CPU temperatures then either replace the fan or replace thermal paste. Right?

If the air circulation is blocked, just moving it out of the box may be all that is necessary.

Jan 1, 2019
I did find the culprit of the over heating issue. Turns out Windows Defender was at 100% CPU utilization because if was fighting a virus that was apparently somehow overheating my CPU. I ran a full system scan and it removed a virus and after that, the CPU temperature finally returned to normal. I will consider finding a way to move the PC to a different location and possibly buying an aftermarket CPU cooler. Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS